Terragen 3 Wishlist - Ghosts of TGD Past, Present, and Future.

Started by Upon Infinity, December 30, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Thanks! That sounds interesting I have the book so I'll have to have a read. I will file a formal request after I have studied the book.

AP

mhaze

Bercon Noise and Chebuchev look interesting along with Manhatten.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: mhaze on February 03, 2014, 05:09:36 AM
Bercon Noise and Chebuchev look interesting along with Manhatten.

The section "Blocks Oddly Shaped Variations Organic" in Neil Blevins page look very interesting as well.
It's Bercon combined with Chebuchev and distorted.
It looks very neat :)

Anyway, we can go through all of these of course :)

mhaze

Just doing some tests with image maps from the above site. The chebychev are working well but these are from image forge which I have some where.  However using image maps has problems in some situations so a proper 3d noise node would be a lot better! just realised I'm using "Blocks Oddly Shaped Variations Organic" from Neil Blevins page and yes they are interesting - will post later

EdBardet

Reading through these posts revealed some interesting 'wish' items.

I think TG is an excellent program for what it is supposed to do and I think non terrain items should not be an area of concern.

I, and I hope I'm not alone, use TG as the "stage" for objects developed in programs that are specifically designed for object modelling / cad. Bearing this in mind I have the following wish list.

1-More import options and either the repair or elimination of the LWO import. ( Inclusion of an external product or joint arrangement like TG and Xfrog)

2-Return of the sculpting feature of the Classic Version.

3-A command that allows the user, once he/she has found the exact location they want, to "re-Origin" the world to the center of the 'found' location. This could be the addition of a 'user coordinate system' in addition the world coordinate system.

4-(And I know this would be difficult). Refine the wiki so that material relevant to later releases is highlighted, or in a different font, or something. Also provide an easy way for offline use of the wiki information.

Ed

Oshyan

Hi Ed,

1: We'll likely add FBX model import in the future (we already have import of camera, lighting, animation data in FBX, of course). What other formats would you want us to support? Keep in mind we need to focus on the most widely supported formats in other programs too, to maximize return on our efforts.

2: The "Sculpting" feature in Terragen Classic can be almost exactly duplicated with the Painted Shader, and it (the Painted Shader) can do a whole lot more besides - it's much more versatile. To get the basic "Terragen Classic" style of sculpting quickly, just add a Displacement Shader to your Terrain network (on the Terrain layout, click Add Terrain -> Displacement Shader and select Displacement Shader). Then open the Displacement Shader's settings and where it says "Function", click the green + button on the right, select Create New Shader -> Colour Shader, then select Painted Shader. The Displacement Shader takes brightness values as input and interprets them as levels of height (displacement), where white is the maximum (equal to the Displacement Multiplier, which will effectively be height measured in meters), and black is 0 displacement. So what you're doing is feeding the Painted Shader output into it to define displacement area and relative height. You'll want to set the Displacement Multiplier to say 100 for now. Finally, go to the 3D preview, click the icon that looks like a paint brush at the top, click Start Painting and select Painted Shader 01 that you just created. Then you can start painting displacement. With the default camera view and Painted Shader brush size, it will give you too much displacement in the foreground, but you can try painting on the mountain in the background to see the effect easily. Ideally you'll want to move the camera up so you have a good aerial view to paint with, of course. You can just select the Top view in the 3D preview camera controls if you want to really duplicate the more limited TG Classic approach.

The control you have over the Painted Shader is more than you had in Classic, and you can also paint almost any kind of displacement this way by using the Painted Shader as a mask instead (i.e. paint the Alpine Shader only where you want it to go). I know all that sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty simple, and once you do it a couple of times it'll be second-nature.

3: You can change the "Lat/Long at Apex" in the Planet node's settings. It sounds like that would be similar to what you want.

4: Most of the information in the Wiki is relevant to both Terragen 2 and 3. We're updating all the info progressively over time, so it's an understandable concern. If you find something that looks particularly out of date let us know. We do know that the "Getting Started" guides are still Terragen 2 specific.

- Oshyan

EdBardet

Oshyan-
Thanks for the detailed reply.
1-I was thinking of 3DS for one.
2-I'll look at this in more detail.
3- I was referring to the  Topic: Resetting the origin - which I made earlier. I will try your suggestion.

Ed

PabloMack

Here is a wish of mine. I do a lot of flyover stuff and it would be great if the vegetation population zone could follow the current (Master) render camera. If there was a check box  (perhaps labelled "Center at Render Camera") as an alternative to the hard-coded "Area Center" in the Populator Node, then the vegetation could follow the camera whereever it goes. This would be where the normal from the planet's sphere intersects the render camera's current position. The terrain would, theoretically, never run out of vegetation and the vegetation zone would reach as far as you have sized the area. Of course the vegetation would have to be repopulated periodically if not on every frame to do this. There is already a "repopulate on every frame" check box. Critical to this is that all instances would have to end up in the same places, sizes and orientations across repopulations. It would also be nice to not populate objects that are not visible because they are below the horizon. This could reduce render times and save memory space. My 16GB of DDR3 is getting too full from populations alone. Wouldn't want to eliminate instances that you could see in reflection. I can't see any realistic reason why the camera would ever see the reflection of an instance that is below the horizon. Perhaps in science fiction there might be some sort of giant mirror in the sky.

Oshyan

3DS is a very old and outdated format, less widely supported than OBJ. I haven't asked Matt or Jo about it, but I suspect it's unlikely to be added as we still need to add Alembic, which is a far more modern and generally useful format. I understand you may have some programs that use or like 3DS, or have some resources available in that format, but it's really a pretty legacy format at this point and I think you're best off finding ways to convert it into more standard formats rather than hoping applications add support for it. The trend is likely to be the reverse, away from 3DS rather than towards it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=20481519

- Oshyan

gregtee

Speaking of formats wish list items, I'd love to see some sort of alembic support, along with the ability to offset those geo cache files on import to add variation to the alembic sequences.  Would be great for example to generate 1000 frames of ambient wind blowing through a single tree done in say Speedtree, or whatever your deformation program of choice is and then instance that tree how ever many times in TG but tell the importer that you want to grab random sections of the geo cache file so in addition to random scaling, rotation, and placement in your Terragen scene you also get variation in the animations of the trees themselves.  It would be very fast and easy to populate entire forests of alembic trees and bushes with subtle, realistic wind motions on them. 

Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

PabloMack

Quote from: gregtee on February 19, 2014, 07:53:24 PM... to populate entire forests of alembic trees and bushes with subtle, realistic wind motions on them.

Yeah..That!

TheBadger

Hi,

QuoteSpeaking of noises, I found this site. Just think of what could be possible for terrains.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/procedural_noise/procedural_noise.html

Out of curiosity and also user need, I'm would like to know why we only have the * relatively* few noise shaders that we do? I mean on a practical level, is it hard to make these?

Really you can do just about anything with what we have, but it can be a lot of work to get something square from something that is circular to begin with. So I would guess that having more options would make things faster (creatively). And I suppose that is why people have been talking about it. But as I said, what I don't understand, is why we don't already have more?

I also wanted to add (based on another resent thread) the request for object blur, in addition to "better"(?) object sequence support. Which was brought up by Matt, who surly knows better than I. But now that IM aware of it, I definitely want it.

(edit)

Oh, but I also just leaned that you cannot have motion blur on object sequences. Well that just kills some stuff I wanted to try. I guess that compositing is just the best way to do everything?

But now I'm back to masking and rotoscoping plants in the forground so I can have characters in the midground. And masking 24fps -30fps with a moving camera is just such a pain in the ass.
It has been eaten.

EdBardet

Oshyan-
Your explanation of 'simulating' the classic sculpture feature was excellent + + +. This was an example of the material that should be available in a transition guide or other documentation. That approach fits my bill exactly for creating a scene for other models.

3DS was just one I know of to serve as a transition between Cinema4D and TG. As I mentioned in another post, transition errors occurred due to 'operator error' rather than format problems.

Ed

Oshyan

We'll be putting out a video on the Painted Shader that demos some of the great things you can do with it.

For interfacing with C4D, I would *strongly* recommend OBJ format.

- Oshyan