Export population with obj and micro exporter

Started by ghoulgirl, January 22, 2014, 12:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghoulgirl

Does the newest version have any improvements on this front?

Oshyan

You can export the geometry of a population with the current version by disabling Raytrace Objects when using the micro exporter. The exporter *only* saves non-raytraced geometry, the terrain is rendered with a micropolygon renderer, by disabling Raytrace Objects you also cause the objects to be rendered this way and thus to be exported as geometry.

In the future we hope to also have ways of getting the actual population locations into an exportable format.

- Oshyan

boubz1er

Hello there ,
Happy new year. I d like to know if in the current version terragen can export from population as fbx scene with as list of coordinate per instance?

Oshyan

No, that functionality is not currently available.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: boubz1er on January 11, 2016, 10:50:33 PM
Hello there ,
Happy new year. I d like to know if in the current version terragen can export from population as fbx scene with as list of coordinate per instance?

Closest I've come to predetermining populations positions is using a Image Map for the mask, and using a dot setup for placement of objects. It's not exact but you can at least get the objects back in relative position. Some seed changes and you can get it pretty close.

Just takes time messing with a image map (or painted shader; however it takes longer) until you have something nice to use.

dorianvan

Is there a way to retrieve the population data (object, coordinates, size, variations, spacing, etc.), so I can write a script in max to bring in the population using the same data?
-Dorian

cyphyr

Maybe ...
If you save an obj cache you can open it in a text editor. Try a ting 10m x 10m pop first with maybe only 5 - 10 instances. It's gobldy gook but readable so there might be something a genius mind could use.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

There is no officially supported way to do this at present. It's something we're considering for the future though.

- Oshyan

dorianvan

Thanks Oshyan, sounds like there's a way though. It would be helpful for better shadow making in Vray or rendering trees/objects perhaps. Does TG allow for scripting? Someone asked, just curious.
-Dorian

Oshyan

There is no direct scripting function at this point. We have an SDK in beta, but it's limited to creating custom nodes and functions, it doesn't really work like scripting. The best thing you can do right now is programatically create and/or modify TGD files, which are pretty easy to understand and manipulate.

- Oshyan