Possible transparent water solution found

Started by zionner, July 02, 2007, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavcat

Zionner,the water at the bottom right looks fantastic as shallow water!! Tell us your secret? :P

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

DeathTwister

Brother Calico, Wow thanks, have posted to see if he will talk about how he has done that, OMG that is exactly what I have been looking for myself.  Your the dude /smiles.....Now if he will only share how he did that.......We can figure the Shadow bug hes trying to get ride of next, I'll take it /winks.

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Volker Harun

Calico,
I thought the same.
It is funny that some simple foam on quite water (which is needed for transparency) and good reflection can do this illusion.
An itching sensation draws me to try water - but I'll wait ;D

rcallicotte

@DeathTwister - Let's ask and see what happens.  Of course, we can wait for an update, be it the next one or the next or...well, you know.  If he/she doesn't share anything, maybe we can do something by searching for the person who faked it awhile back.

@Volker Harun - For transparency, I think I'll wait.  Yet, I know someone shared somewhere on here how to cheat a transparency effect that looked pretty good.  I kept the file somewhere, if you're interested.

I'm working on some ocean water effects.  I hope to post these results sometime soon.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

RArcher

Unfortunately Volker is absolutely correct when he said that my image (attached below) did not have transparent water at all.  Just a bit of a fake in adding variable colours to the water.

I first realized that it really wasn't entirely necessary to have true transparency for what I was looking for, as long as the water looked like it had some variation underneath.  I first had the idea when I was out hiking a couple weeks back and took some photos of a beautiful clear lake (examples attached).  It doesn't really matter about the lake floor as long as the water is clear then you can add detail to the water layer and the reflection will take care of the rest. 

The water in this image is just the default lake object with default settings.  Then I added a default shader with a power fractal and adjusted the colours.  We will have to wait and see how the entire panorama turns out before I decide whether I am happy with the effect or not.

More photos of the lakes are here if they will encourage inspiration:

http://www.archer-designs.com/photos/june-2007/index.html

I hope this helps.

DeathTwister

Hay guys,

QuoteVolker Harun - For transparency, I think I'll wait.  Yet, I know someone shared somewhere on here how to cheat a transparency effect that looked pretty good.  I kept the file somewhere, if you're interested.

Please would you share that file with us? We sure would like to see it and take it apart.  I keep thinking the secret is in the nodes somehow though to get what we want, and I am also interested to see how you applied the other shaders to the Water block/Lake.

RArcher Wow that is so awesome, even if it is fake (Haha) I sure would like to see the file and or the link where you dung that up?  also your photos are awesome dude, very well done and great examples of what we want in the end.  But  I also want to have waves with transparency like in tropical water if I can. and yes it sure would be nice to know if they are addressing this issue or not in the next update. I sure hope they do or at least add a real fake transparent Shader for us????? That would be fun as then we can add other terrains and make them transparent like Crystals coming out of mountains and other ideas I have in mind.  But I am sure the rendering engine will be one of the main updates we see next, or so I hear anyway.  Maybe help if I bought the full version, but I am kinda broke atm.
DT
ATOMIX Productions

bigben

He probably hasn't posted a clip because there's nothing really that fancy about it.  All you need is a set of surface shaders to provide the colour of the surface below the water and feed it into the water shader input.

To keep it looking "real" the waves have to be relatively small in the image. On rougher water it will look fake.

zionner

Thanks For that :)

Edit: Hmm..I still dont get how you can get effects like that ^^ using this method

bigben

Skillful surfacing  ;)

Try creating the subsurface texture without the water first so that you can see what you're doing without the reflections.

zionner

zionner

This is my First Successful Transparent Water Picture: (there are some lighting problems..I know):

DeathTwister

OOh very very nice,

You getting there yes siree /smiles, Would you post that tgd file and the tgc files as well please so we can take a look at it? that sure would be sweet.  I have not had the time I have wanted to work on this yet as been a very long week and weekend.  By the way, your terrain is very nice as well, but we are not looking at terrains ATM, hahaha, but thought someone should say Hay nice going and work on all of it /winks.
ATOMIX Productions

zionner

Thanks, Heres the TGD File