Random clumping of objects re-seed option in populator.

Started by choronr, February 03, 2014, 02:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

A 'Random clumping of objects re-seed option in the Populator' would be a nice feature in some upcoming update is on my wish list.

Oshyan

I'm not sure what you mean with the "re-seed" part. Right now there is no "clumping" at all (though there is "spacing variation", which is different but may have some conceptual similarities). Doing a normal Random Seed change would give you different results with the same "spacing variation". If you're asking for a *new* "clumping" feature that certainly makes sense though.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 03, 2014, 04:04:37 PM
I'm not sure what you mean with the "re-seed" part. Right now there is no "clumping" at all (though there is "spacing variation", which is different but may have some conceptual similarities). Doing a normal Random Seed change would give you different results with the same "spacing variation". If you're asking for a *new* "clumping" feature that certainly makes sense though.

- Oshyan
Thanks Oshyan; yes, a new clumping feature is what I had in mind - like a separate 'seed' feature where one could try and attain clumps randomly throughout the scene. One would have maintained the original spacing variation; but, would have the option to have a few clumps throughout the population by using a separate seed button..

Oshyan

Ah, ok. Yes, that's something we'd like to do in the future.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 03, 2014, 04:27:27 PM
Ah, ok. Yes, that's something we'd like to do in the future.

- Oshyan
Thank you. This would be a time saver in lieu of having to add a second population of the same object but with much closer spacing and using the Painted shader.

jo

Hi Richard,

Have you experimented with using a Power fractal as a density shader? If you use it with small scales and low octaves plus adjusting the colour offsets etc. then you should be able to get a blobby sort of pattern with separate dots that could give a clumpy appearance to the population. I haven't actually tried this but it should work.

Regards,

Jo

choronr

Quote from: jo on February 03, 2014, 05:27:55 PM
Hi Richard,

Have you experimented with using a Power fractal as a density shader? If you use it with small scales and low octaves plus adjusting the colour offsets etc. then you should be able to get a blobby sort of pattern with separate dots that could give a clumpy appearance to the population. I haven't actually tried this but it should work.

Regards,

Jo

Thanks Jo (its Bob BTW),

I have not tried your suggestion but will look into it. If you try it, be sure to post it here; and, I'll do the same. The tought came to me while thinking of a better transition from a dense population to one that thins out - something that fuzzy zone doesn't always give you.

jo

Quote from: choronr on February 03, 2014, 05:54:05 PM
Thanks Jo (its Bob BTW),

Ah, sorry, I was thinking of "cyphyr" at the time!

I have not tried your suggestion but will look into it. If you try it, be sure to post it here; and, I'll do the same. The tought came to me while thinking of a better transition from a dense population to one that thins out - something that fuzzy zone doesn't always give you.

I've attached an image which uses a Power fractal as I suggested. I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of. This population has a close spacing. You can change the pattern easily by reseeding the power fractal.

Regards,

Jo

choronr

This looks good Jo; and, thanks for illustrating it. I will try this on the project I'm working on.

TheBadger

Hey, thats handy! Thanks. +1 on Bobs request too though, that sounds great.
It has been eaten.

Dune

You should experiment more with the fractals, guys! Weird combinations can be made, stretching, rotating, masking, multiplying, difference, variation in noise (and all the settings can be 'abused'; huge numbers, negatives...). Check it out by putting the line of fractals through a surface shader. You can determine the location or placing of veggies beforehand then.

mhaze

Apart from the power fractal don't forget the good old painting shader - only just started using it and I've found it to be excellent.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2014, 02:58:14 AM
You should experiment more with the fractals, guys! Weird combinations can be made, stretching, rotating, masking, multiplying, difference, variation in noise (and all the settings can be 'abused'; huge numbers, negatives...). Check it out by putting the line of fractals through a surface shader. You can determine the location or placing of veggies beforehand then.
Yes, I'm beginning to realize that there are many ways to achieve the same goal.

TheBadger

Hey Dune. Yeah I know. Just forget the obvious sometimes when Im really focused on the more complex.
It has been eaten.

choronr

Quote from: mhaze on February 04, 2014, 11:18:18 AM
Apart from the power fractal don't forget the good old painting shader - only just started using it and I've found it to be excellent.
Yes, this works well when all other methods tried fail. When Planetside works on lightening up that screen over the preview window, it should be easier to work with.