Ocean Water

Started by rcallicotte, July 03, 2007, 04:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTwister

Hay brother Calico,

Actually if everyone could help spread the word that would be fantastic /smiles, and where are good places to post this about the Challenges besides where we have them? I am game to post more, if I know where to send them out.  Other then that I am just reminding peeps as I follow forum stuff, like this wonderful ocean water that you have created. So thanks Calico, you da Elf /winks.

DeathTwisters Alley
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

dandelO,

Though I can see what o_b means about the stretching, you've done an excellent job on both scenes.  Do you want to share any node knowledge, TGCs, TGDs...?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

Hi, sorry, I should have hunted down the .tgd's last night when I posted.
I think I've got one of them, the boat one, but both are created exactly the same way...

Just create a power fractal, break it's connection with the compute terrain node if you've created it via the terrain tab, plug it into the input of the water shader and set a massive feature scale level, between 50,000 to 100,000 is fine, adjust lead in scale etc to get a convincing wave effect, tweak til your hearts content!
If you want to create land in the scene too you'll need to create a new power fractal terrain and then set the displacement offsets of the water fractal accordingly, your water level will be very much higher than the land so give it some negative values in 1000m stages until your happy with the water level.

Here's a very basic tgd I just knocked together for demonstrative purposes and a clipfile of the water nodes on their own...

rcallicotte

Thanks, dandel0!  I'll see if I can join this with the one I created to come up with something even better, if possible.

DeathTwister

Wow thanks guys and yes I would love to see the .tgd and .tgc files on yours Calico if you have the time to post them after you play with them? That would be awesome.

Quick Model texturing Question:
Maybe should make this it's own Topic, but I am here now so...........
  Hay may I ask anyone if any of you all know how to say build more textures for a model that say has 40 textures to import in and since there is a 16 texture limit we cannot get those textures in and no way to go into the model tree and select each individual mesh to set a image map to, maybe we can if we know the textures that will be needed to bring them in first in a multi, image shader or maybe 4-to 10 if needed, and then assign them to the model somehow when you import them in? the model that is. I have some awesome stuff I have made and since sub=mapping is out in tgd2, more textures per mesh is our workaround to figure out.  Anyway if someone has that figured out? I sure would to know how you did it??????????? So will everyone else, including I am betting PlanetSide.  There must be a way, just have not had the time to mess around with it more then I have, bummer that that is.  It seems somehow to me and when I get time I was going to try this, but it seems like if we broke the multi shaders from the terrains and assigned them to the model and if we had all the right missing textures ion the multi shaders, it seems like they should kinda find the missing spots on the model? what ya think, anyone try that yet as a workaround? I know PlanetSide is working on it but has no ETA on it yet.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

Okay, of course.

Quote from: DeathTwister on August 29, 2007, 03:34:40 PM
Wow thanks guys and yes I would love to see the .tgd and .tgc files on yours Calico if you have the time to post them after you play with them? That would be awesome.

DT

dandelO

Here's another idea I've been kicking around whenever I've got nothing better to do...

I like to call this project "Look busy, here comes Moses!" ;)  :D

Trying to part the sea using 'kind of' the same method as I posted earlier.
The nodes are VERY messy just now, so I won't post them until they're cleaned up a bit and made into something resembling sense. :)

rcallicotte

Interesting idea.  It could really be cool.

DeathTwister

ROTFL good one /winks
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

Here is one color corrected (blue) and one straight from TG2 (green) created from the "final" ocean clip file.  While I probably won't visit this clip file again soon, anyone is welcome to update it and post their findings here.  If I find better means of doing this, I'll update the clip file as well.  This newest version has both the capability (though weak) of having steeper waves and has the ability to make foam.

Have fun.    :)

old_blaggard

Frankly, I like the green better than the blue ;).  The surf looks a bit small, but the waves look promising.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Saurav

I agree with o_b here, the waves are nice. The green one looks good for tropical waters.

rcallicotte

Saurav and old_blaggard - The functions are adjustable.  I just threw together the wave and foam to do a picture and think you could pretty much do what you like...as long as TG2 can handle it.

Volker Harun

The waves look very very good! Ireally need some time to check your shared files Calico!
It is a pity that I haven't yet.

DeathTwister

Wow Calico those are great, I am looking forward to playing with the files in a few days after my Company goes back home after our meetings.  Actually looks like the Blue is the Atlantic Ocean and the green one the Pacific Ocean, perfect.

DT
ATOMIX Productions