MPEG compression?

Started by Dune, February 28, 2014, 05:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

What could I best use to make a good quality but compressed avi or mpeg video? I use Virtualdub, and had some XVID codec downloaded, but it doesn't 'see' it or something. Just found this: FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2014-02-09....
But before installing all kinds of stuff, what would you guys recommend? And is there better and not too expensive than Virtualdub?

Kadri

One that comes to my mind is this.There are others too.
http://www.h264encoder.com/

Output an uncompressed avi from Virtualdub  and open it in this h262encoder window after you installed it.
If you can get other codecs installed and open them in Virtualdub you can make this directly in Virtualdub too.
But not all of them can be installed in all programs.
You video will be big if you output it from Virtualdub uncompressed but if your video is small this won't be a problem probably Ulco.

gregtee

Quicktime Pro will produce great output.  We use it all the time. 
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

Dune

Thanks guys, I'll give these a try.

Dune

Strange, the H264 encoder 'cannot encode the avi'. It was uncompressed. For Handbrake I need NET framework 4.0, so I'm going to find that now.

Kadri

Quote from: gregtee on February 28, 2014, 11:06:58 AM
Quicktime Pro will produce great output.  We use it all the time.

I always wanted to try it.Which codec do you prefer?
Is it one that comes with QT or one of the expensive codecs Greg?

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on February 28, 2014, 12:01:35 PM
Strange, the H264 encoder 'cannot encode the avi'. It was uncompressed. For Handbrake I need NET framework 4.0, so I'm going to find that now.

Some codes want specific dimensions,even numbers etc.
Not sure but try changing 3-5 frames to specific dimension(1920x1080 etc) and test it ones more Ulco.