Scanning XfrogPlants Volume 1 TGO Causes Terragen to Crash

Started by penboack, February 08, 2014, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penboack

I am setting up Terragen 3 on a new MBP and a clean Windows 8.1 installation on a new Crucial SSD.
I am having problems scanning the XfrogPlant libraries.

I unpacked the XfrogPlants Volume 1 library, opened Terragen (Build 3.0.10.0), in Preferences > Library > Advanced I deleted the existing database and previews.
Then I opened the Library and started to scanned the XfrogPlants Volume 1 library with all scan options checked ("Images" and "Scan subfolders" are unchecked by default).
Terragen crashes half way through the scan, the crash is repeatable and occurs on both Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.9.1.

Please could you investigate.

Oshyan

Is there any possibility you can narrow down to what file or kind of file is causing it? For example you could try scanning only certain folders, or try turning off scanning of certain types of items. If you turn off Images for example and it doesn't crash, that would definitely help us look in the right area.

Thanks,

Oshyan

penboack

Thanks Oshyan,

That was interesting, uncheck images and it works fine.
On previous testing I concluded that it was crashing when it reached EU2, or Flowers1, but when I scanned those folders in isolation it worked fine.
I don't actually need to scan the images, I just wanted to have the previews, so that solves the issue for now, although it is obviously something that ought to be fixed.

Thanks for helping me find a work around.

Charles

Oshyan

I would guess it may have something to do with either very high resolution images being too large for the thumbnail generator to handle, or it being unable to deal with 16bit or other less common formats. I recall the Xfrog Billboards do have some of that in them, although it's not consistent unfortunately. We'll see if we can reproduce the issue locally.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

I tried this with the copy of the TG2 + TGO + XFR collection that I have. I had a problem with the image "EU36ned_illu.tif" in "Europe 2/Models/EU36_Pinus_mugo_Mugo_Pine". Check if that file is present for you and then delete it or move it aside. It isn't used in the TGO objects. When I moved it away I was able to add the entire Xfrog collection, including images, to the Library without problems.

I would be interested to hear if this fixes things for you. If other files are causing problems I will need to look into that so I'd be very keen to hear about it.

Regards,

Jo