Coming home

Started by Hannes, March 11, 2014, 07:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

You should, Hannes. Good idea. Put 16 gigs in!

Nacer Eddine

honestly all depends on how terragen work with rendering, which iam sure is to have a good processor
about Mandelbulb 3D, if you like the space and flying through
Here are some experiments I've done with this software (to give you an idea):
with bad resolution hehehehe, but with HD i need more hours depending the processor also.

Hannes

Thank you for your examples. Mandelbulb is truly quite interesting, but it's quite different from what I wanted to achieve.

Kadri

Hannes hard to say from here what your problem is.
Ones i had a similar problem.
It was the mainboard that refused to work with more then 4 GB memory.
Some memories work and some not.
Depends on the brand and model etc too.
After so many unsuccessful attempts with different RAM etc.
i got later a new mainboard and put 32 GB in it.
It worked right away and no problems since then.

yossam

For some reason I have had problems with Gigabyte motherboards not recognizing memory, went with Asus this last time............no problems.  :)

Luc

Hannes, great piece of work, as you said  far from typical usage of Terragen (at least very far from usage I am able to do..)

luc
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

Kadri

Quote from: yossam on March 18, 2014, 06:11:11 PM
For some reason I have had problems with Gigabyte motherboards not recognizing memory, went with Asus this last time............no problems.  :)

It was the other way around for me Yossam :)

choronr

Yes, it sounds like the motherboard (mobo) is the issue. If you are interested in building your own PC, Newegg.com is a great source for the components and very reasonable costs. I got most of my components from them. If you tell them what you want to build and ask for their recommendations and compatibility, they will list them for you.

Hannes

Thanks guys. Yes, I think my mobo (I learned a new abbreviation! ;D) doesn't want to accept more than 3GB RAM. I tested different brands. Nothing worked, so I think in the near future I'll get a complete new computer with as much RAM inside as possible. Thanks for your link, Bob! I assume, they are in the states and shipping will be a bit expensive. I have a similar company around the corner ( http://www.alternate.de/html/index.html ).Twentyfive minutes per car, so that wouldn't be a problem.

kaedorg

As you're in Germany, check with Sedatech, I bought 3 PC with them by the past. Very satisfied and great communication.

archonforest

I got recently a refurbished Dell T-5500 Workstation from the below link in a very good price:
www.bargainhardware.co.uk

This modell is designed for 3D. You can put more that 40Gig of RAM and even a dual octa core Xeon CPU that will give you 24 Processing cores in TG 8) 8)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

choronr

Quote from: Hannes on March 19, 2014, 06:02:48 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I think my mobo (I learned a new abbreviation! ;D) doesn't want to accept more than 3GB RAM. I tested different brands. Nothing worked, so I think in the near future I'll get a complete new computer with as much RAM inside as possible. Thanks for your link, Bob! I assume, they are in the states and shipping will be a bit expensive. I have a similar company around the corner ( http://www.alternate.de/html/index.html ).Twentyfive minutes per car, so that wouldn't be a problem.
You're welcome Hannes. Yes, ordering from across the pond would be expensive. The advantage of building your own system avoids having all the junk that commercial systems load on their equipment. And, when you want to try and upgrade a commercial system, you will find that in most cases you can't since their components are proprietary. For what we do here today, an I7 processor with 16GB of RAM may be the way to go. 

archonforest

Does the 16Gs makes the difference? I have 8 and so far so good... ???
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

It does if you have many assets to be loaded. For my museum file I needed 13gig or so, less would have crashed TG. For average use 8 would do fine, though.

choronr

Quote from: archonforest on March 19, 2014, 12:29:52 PM
Does the 16Gs makes the difference? I have 8 and so far so good... ???
I believe it does, mainly for rendering. I have a seven year old system with 8GB and it still runs like a charm.