Started by j meyer, March 11, 2014, 12:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

And two more metallic shader attempts.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

The last one is actually the shading that is on the exhaust just put
on the body parts.
And the sticker is done by camera projection.

Feel free to ask and/or to contribute!

Dune

What happened to the seats?

Regarding the lights: I did (I think). But if you want light sources (or spotlights) inside your 'lights' (behind the glass) then that glass object (now a part of the whole car) should be separate and you can uncheck throw shadows. That's what I mean. The parts around the glass would still throw shadows, or anyone standing in front of the lights. 

j meyer

The seats are still where they have been all the time.The light grey edgey
things inside.Maybe it looks different because I've changed the reflectiveness
of the inner body parts.

Thanks for making that clearer,I assumed at first I should uncheck cast shadows
for the light now I see you meant to turn that off for the separate object.
I'll give it a try tonight.

As for the minor problem with the mix of UVed and non UVed parts when I connected
the shaders of the exhaust to the body parts it worked as is for the front part,but for
the back and the roof another Transform Shader set to World Space was needed,although
all of these parts are non UVed.And so far I haven't been able to find out what causes this.
Maybe something in the modeling process.

Dune

I had some issues a while back with unmapped parts that turned totally black, so I just map them (any which way in Poseray).

j meyer

Unmapped parts turning black? Hmmm,never had that one with wings3d,but wings is
very TG friendly anyway,fortunately.

Tried the suggested light workaround,works great! Thanks!
Hopefully I won't forget it again. ;)

[attach=1]

Done with spotlights

[attach=2]

Plus a bit of aperture,which causes the rings visible in the lights.
A bit more and those things look more like dark cones inside the
reflectors of the lights.

Dune

gregtee

I think the truck is cool but I really like the road it's sitting on.  I'd like to know more about that.

Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

yossam

j meyer

:) Thanks for your interest.
The pavement is done with a procedural mask (yes,the dreaded blue nodes)
and some Power Fractal displacement on top of it.
I'm going to post some example files in the File Sharing section for you to
play with.

If the community is interested I'd be willing to share one version of the car also.

TheBadger

QuoteIf the community is interested I'd be willing to share one version of the car also.

Im just interested in the tires. They look pretty real to me. Are they higher polly? And the rubber shading looks good too. Looks like sport truck tires should, almost hard surface, but clearly rubber. The treads really work well too.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Michael - Aaawww,what's wrong with it? Not enough chromium parts?
             The missing weaponry? (just kidding,no worry  ;) )

As for the tires I'd consider them  to be not really low poly anymore,
             but on the other hand not quite midpoly yet.

Take a look yourself

[attach=1]

The tread parts have creased edges (or hard edges as it's called in wings3d).
             That way TGs normal smoothing doesn't affect those edges and they render
             pretty sharp.(the backside view shows it clearly,other parts too)
             The rubber shading is quite easy.The trick is to use a reflection tint that is
             not to far away from the actual rubber color.
             For example: Take a Power Fractal set the scale sliders to something you
             think matches the object (tire) size,then set the colors to e.g. 0.005 and
             0.007 set the other parameters to your liking and then feed it into a
             reflective shader with ray traced reflections turned off and set the reflection
             tint color to say 0.03 or so,Index of Reflection to 1.5 and the specular
             roughness to 0.25.
             Connect that to the grey part node instead of the default shader and
             you're done.

I've tried to model this rather low poly car especially for use in TG with procedural shading.
And I also tried to set up my material groups in a way that allows for changes of geometry
and additions thereof easily.
As you might have noticed I've shown two different versions so far (five doors+three doors).
But I have done the shader set up only once and imported the different versions into the
existing obj reader and it works great,even with slightly different file names.
Tried to import one with 1 material group more and even that worked to a certain degree.
Meaning it rendered ok,but the new shader didn't show up amongst the others.

So here it is again showing a third version with more parts added.

[attach=2]

So since only the rubber shader was mentioned let me ask you guys directly:
What do you think about the other shaders?
What should be improved and how?

Dune

I think it's quite perfect and you've done a terrific job. Perhaps a little dirt on the windows as well. And I still have a problem with the seats; they look so 'transparent grey'.

j meyer

Yep,some dirt on the windows,wanted to do that,but then started thinking about
wiper tracks and how to do that without UVs and/or image mask.
Or just a clean spot wiped by hand and then I totally forgot to do it at all.Doh.
I'm not sure what to do to the seats to make them look better,but yes something
has to be done.
Good feedback,thanks!