Haze glow amount vs Haze glow power

Started by russe166, March 20, 2014, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russe166

Hi!

Can anyone explain the difference in the effect of the Atmosphere-lighting settings:

Haze glow amount vs Haze glow power and Bluesky glow amount vs Bluesky glow power

Thanks for helping

Michael

AP

When ever I am wanting to alter the Atmosphere settings, I always remind myself to seek these examples out.

http://www.motionmagnetic.com/a_terragen2/atmosphere_examples/atmosphere_examples.html

Kevin F

Great resource.
Are these in the Wiki? If not why not?

russe166

Thanks for the link, but I still can't see the difference ...

Michael

Oshyan

The text for Planet Atmosphere documentation still needs to be completed, but there are some image examples there now which may be helpful:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Planet_Atmosphere_-_Lighting_Tab
Glow "Power" is just that, the "power" (or brightness, basically) of the glow *where it occurs*. In other words it makes the glow brighter, but it should not change the "amount" (area/spread) of glow. It can *appear* to because as the glow gets brighter, you see areas glowing brighter that were very faint before, so it seems to work similarly to go the glow "amount", but it's more about brightness than spread/area I think.

I think you can visualize this pretty well by turning down Haze Glow Power very low (like 0.5) then increasing Glow Amount (to say 5). Then you can see a very spread-out but not very "powerful" glow. Compare that to Glow Power 0.5 and Glow Amount 1.5, for example. Another key to understanding the difference in your own tests is to look toward the sun as it's an effect triggered by the sun (or other light sources). You won't get as much of a display of the difference if you're not looking where the glow occurs.

The examples on that "Motion Magnetic" page could be added to the wiki but as they are someone else's work, we can't be the ones to do it (copyright); the original author would need to do so. The wiki is open edit so they are welcome to do so.

- Oshyan

russe166

Hi,

thanks for the detailed answer!

Michael

TheBadger

from the link Oshyan posted:

"Bluesky glow amount". Can anyone say what the benefit to increasing the levels here would be? From that giff, it looks like one would want to leave it, or even reduce it to fractions or even negative numbers.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

There's no inherent "benefit" to *any* of these settings, changing their values depends on what you want to achieve, i.e. there's no "better" value except one that is more suited to a particular goal you may have. Their default values are set to generally realistic levels for an average (possibly British, hehe) day. Increasing Bluesky glow will, well, increase the amount of glow in the "bluesky" component. Try turning Bluesky down to 0 to see exactly what that component contributes to the atmosphere. That's really the easiest way to understand it, a text explanation is not as useful as seeing it.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Quotea text explanation is not as useful as seeing it.
Thats a fact. Ill be sure to mess with that just for fun the next time I open a scene.
It has been eaten.

AP

It can be very interesting to layer Atmosphere Shaders on top of one another using various settings with only using the Haze itself. There are many possibilities there.