xfrog trees - "square" branches ?

Started by sirio, March 23, 2014, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirio

Hi all,
I notice that in most xfrog trees the branches have a weird shape, see the attachment.
I played with TG for hours without any result  - I fear it's a problem with (paid) xfrog trees.. :(

sirio

mash

They are square to reduce the polygon count.
All of the 3d plants, xfrog, Onyx, speedtree etc. are this way to one degree or another.
If you have the xfrog 3.5 software I think there is an option to increase the number of sides to a tree up to 8.

fleetwood

In the Terragen object settings you should check Use Smooth Normals. This will round out the branches as intended.

sirio

@mash: sure, but my plants have branches of 4 sides, like boxes. These are trees sold for TG, I'd be surprised for such low quality.
If xfrog 3.5 is the only way.. :(

@fleetwood: the tree in my picture already has smooth normals checked.

sirio

Kadri

There was a thread that some of the objects had those problems (old ones?) but not all if i remember correctly.

mash

Quote from: sirio on March 23, 2014, 03:42:58 PM
@mash: sure, but my plants have branches of 4 sides, like boxes. These are trees sold for TG, I'd be surprised for such low quality.
If xfrog 3.5 is the only way.. :(
@fleetwood: the tree in my picture already has smooth normal checked.
sirio

I think Kadri is right in that at some point some of the xfrog trees were rebuilt.
Problem is I'm not sure which ones or when or what was done to them.
Xfrog isn't the only option. But at the moment it's the most seemless one.
I've been looking for a cheap, easy to use vegetation solution for a few weeks now.
So far the only ones I found are Xfrog, Onyx or Abaro.
Onyx and Arbaro are a bit dated though.
E-ons Plant factory crashes a lot, for me at least.
Speed tree is just just too expensive.

Send X-frog an email and ask them whats up.

masonspappy

Yeah, often they are squarish. It does reduce the polygon count.  If you want rounder limbs do this:
- In xfrog, click on the TREE object in left pane, then on the right pane select PRIMITIVE tab.
- Click the PROFILE button to ON. This opens up a "POINTS" function. Click on EDIT.
- a new window opens up. What you're seeing is a cross section of the tree trunk. It's usually 3 points (triangle)
- You can increase the number of points. The triangle will morph into a circular shape.  You'll need to experiment with this to see what suits you.  Just remember that the more points you use, the more memory you will need and that will increase render times.
- When done click 'OK

Hope this helps.

bobbystahr

I'd noticed this in most of the Free offerings. If they're selling low res objects, as well as giving them away, along with higher res objects, they should clearly mark the lower and higher res so when purchasing objects you don't wind up with low res background tree and nada worthy of a Hero Shot....Sorta glad I haven't the disposable income to have bought the collections or I think I might be steaming mad.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist