Overpass

Started by Dune, March 24, 2014, 04:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I like the look of the glass dome more Ulco! Nice!

choronr

This is developing very nicely.

Dune

The model is indeed a bit 'distorted'. I used 'tab+freeze' in LW, so everything was rounded (I didn't want a too tight look). Later made the windows more straight again by hand. I should have rounded the whole thing before and then made the windows, although I didn't want the windows and door to be too straight as I said. It should look dilapadated/crooked. I'll make a detail, no problem.
I can make these models as refined as needed and go on forever, but after a while I think, well that's good enough, let's put it in TG  ::)
Hannes has given me a nice idea, I might make the Maglev line with some mist and light beams..... though it's not a maglev of course.

Hannes

Looks great, Ulco. The golden light on the first two images is beautiful.

Dune

Thanks Hannes.

Here's the wagon in LW view. I realized it's quite tricky sometimes how smooth the normals should be. I just made a Art Nouveau light thingy, and tried several angles for the different parts. If you smooth completely, the circular bottom of that light became 'cornered', if I set it at 45ยบ it looked much better. Strange, but interesting.

j meyer

Thanks for showing,makes it easier to see what's going on.
The whole angle based smoothing approach is tricky indeed.
Took me some time until I realized that you can have different
angles for different parts of one model for example.And then again
not every app accepts more than one angle,it seems.(Don't know
if TG does.)
If you look at some free LW models you'll find lots of unwelded parts,
don't know,if that's done on purpose,but it's a way of getting creases
where you want them without having to rely on that angle based smoothing.
Those are some reasons why I like the simplified hard edge approach
of Wings better.
Another way is beveling,but that really increases the polycount and can
be hard to execute occasionally.

The vultures are a nice addition btw. ;D.

Dune

Final for the time being on the station version, another sea line and I'm working on a valley suspension railway.....

Problem is I can't get rid of the grain in the spotlights. Cloud (mist) quality is at 1, AA at 6, should be quite alright, but still grain.

Interesting that you mention unwelded parts and creases. I had the habit of welding all before doing the normal computation for different parts, but maybe I shouldn't! Thanks.

yossam

The 2nd of the last 3 does it for me.  :)

zaxxon

words fail.... again, Bravo!

dorianvan

Ulco, the second one is awesome! If there were a website for authors with writers-block, this image would cure them! Looks like a perfect cover to a mystery book. Awesome island and especially the white water. I'm always curious though if the water could be animated to look as cool as the still image; I suppose with the right combo of TG animation, programs, and post work, it would look superb for film or TV.
-Dorian

archonforest

Yeah the 2nd of the last 3.
Love the atmo of this one. (Guess I playing too much mysterious/horror games :o) Superb composition great colors.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

choronr

Inspirational creativity for sure. The second is ideal.

mhaze

Dune

One thing I realized (but fail to implement) is that I need to pay more attention to simplicity and mood. When doing something in TG I always want to show all assets, make an average view where all is visible. Like with the road, the line, the train and the station.... and the foliage and the mountains and the snow.... and clouds.... it's getting too much sometimes. I'm going to make white empty stuff from now on, white noise (just kidding, but I still need to keep it simple).

You'll see... next one again; suspension train in valley, nice as it is, but also added higher mountains, scree, dry riverbed, fallen boulders.... I have to restrain myself from adding trees, and cars and people....

archonforest

I do not agree with u on the restrain :D
Not sure if u realized but usually whatever u post here it will be loved by many as they are great. They have lots of things on it but they are not overdone or crowded. U can have a bunch of things on a pix but until the composition is good and all in harmony it will create a nice effect here. So I suggest that u keep doin what u doin as personally I love your composition and by seeing the comments I am not alone with this :D

Anycow of crs u can do simple pictures but do not restrain yourself. Just put on what u want to and post it when u done so we can enjoy the view ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd