Terragen used in Ryse Son of Rome trailer

Started by gregtee, March 13, 2014, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregtee

This was something we did last summer that forgot to mention. We used Terragen for the skies and also created and animated latlong that was used to create the setting sun effect. 

http://digitaldomain.com/projects/300
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

TheBadger

I love the animatics I have seen from that game.

Thanks for pointing out the TG Greg.

It has been eaten.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

gregtee

It was a Maya/ Vray pipeline. All comped in Nuke.  I comped a handful of shots too since it was a small crew.  I think it was the first time that we used Terragen to create the  animated light rig that was plugged into Vray.

masonspappy

Wait, take a step back. I'm not a gamer so not familiar with this.
The Roman soldier - he's not real, just an animation???

gregtee

Marius, who's the roman solider was rendered. There's a "making of" for this spot also posted on this link. It's that small gray tile under the main view window.  He was modeled and later motion captured on our stages at DD.  The making of does a breakdown of all the shots and shows all the composite layers as well.  We use them for marketing but they're pretty informative if you want to get an idea of how it was done.   I even shot one of the compositors on the job walking down a hallway to the outdoors so I could get an idea of how the light exposure and depth if field changes if shot from a real camera.  It was a fun job but done on a very short schedule, I think about 4 weeks.

TheBadger

QuoteThere's a "making of" for this spot also posted on this link. It's that small gray tile under the main view window.

Ahhhhh! Thank you. I did not catch that. I thought they were still images and did not look.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Well done Greg...I love it when a software I use shows up in the pro world and so very well done...Greeat that you were able to use TG's lighting...it's one of my favorite parts of TG over any other software I've tried for real world type lighting...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Wow! Sometimes I like to watch the behind the scene featurette more than the main movie or trailer.

j meyer

Since the question about the roman being real or just an animation came up
here I thought this might be of interest to some of you.
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?185615-Ryse-Son-of-Rome-Character-Art

I hope you don't mind Greg.

rcallicotte

There is no question the face isn't real.

Brilliant work, by the way.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?