La primavera del Arroyo Rojo

Started by zaxxon, March 30, 2014, 12:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Always up for a bit of experimentation! Especially when the exercise and feedback helps refine my understanding of TG.  I've re-rendered 3 images at det/AA of .8/8. The two labeled as 'default' are sun strength 5.0, Enviro surface 1.0, enviro color 1.0, OC 2.0, Bounce 2.0. The one labeled 'pluspointfive' sun strength 5.0, enviro surface 1.5, enviro color 1.0, OC 2.5, Bounce 2.0. Arroyo Rojo 1  has a haze density of 2.14, the other two are set at 1.34. All three were rendered with the catmul-rom filter and have a gaussian blur factor of .35 added in post. Interestingly it was Oshayn who prompted my pursuit of higher Enviro light settings, and to not use a second sun in a prior image ( http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17783.15.html ). That image was was back-lit and very shady, so probably a higher range was appropriate. But, it started me thinking about pushing the envelope, maybe too much thinking... ;)  At any rate here are the 'experiments'. I Hope that looking at a bazillion renders of the same scene isn't  too mind-numbing, let me know what you think.

Dune

I think they are all realistic in their own way. Sometimes it also helps to copy the sun and use one for clouds and one for terrain only, so you can control what is lit by how much.

Oshyan

They all succeed in adding a bit of "weight" to the vegetation that seemed to be missing before. I prefer #1 for the lighting angle and the haze with the glow, it's quite nice, and the vegetation is best highlighted there I think, while still maintaining an appropriate impression of density.

Upping the enviro light is a good option to try if you have a scene you've created and it's too dark in the shadows or surfaces in general. I think it's less of a good idea to take an option like that and use it as any kind of default. The general defaults are almost always a good starting point. Then, having knowledge of tools and settings you can use to get closer to your vision or correct problems you encounter along the way is good. I do think it's generally best to start from a "neutral" point though.

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Thanks for the comments and critiques, it's hard to over-estimate the value of a good forum to gain, that which in traditional times relied upon a Gallery to achieve: intelligent insight and criticism  :). I think I'm done with this one, off to the next windmill!

TheBadger

Of the last 3, I prefer the fist of those.

Great development and demonstration of your practice Zax! Thank you.
It has been eaten.