How do you pass the time while rendering?

Started by Will, July 09, 2007, 06:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hello everyone! I wanted to know what people do while waiting for their render to finish, do you play games? read books? watch TV? or anything else. I'll start you off with my list of pass times: Games: I play mostly Rogue-likes because they don't take much CPU power or memory. I play:
nethack http://www.nethack.org/
dwarf fortress http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html
and ADOM http://www.adom.de/

For books I just started David Sedaris' Barrel fever, seems pretty good so far.

I also doodle a lot.

Ok there you go no add to it ;)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

lol old_blaggard.

If it is a short render I read books like Lone Survivor, Basic Economics, and Bankrupt. If it is really long I do it while I'm at work or when I'm asleep.  ;D

Will

Hmm perhaps I am truly alone in my activitys then

Volker Harun

Will

Well I encourage you all to take a look at my stuff to ,you know, broaden your vision.

Harvey Birdman

Perfecting my plot for world conquest.

;D

Will

.... ohhhhkay sure..um I'll be over here if ya need me, okay? okay.

hmm Perhaps I'm am just a renaissance man.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Kevin F

Hmm.. where do I start?
Listen to music - Bob Dylan (fanatic), Neil Young, Steve Earl, Captain Beefheart, Cold Play, and 10.000 more), Read (currently Stephen Fry), watch movies (last one Deja Vu), Grow and tend veg garden, Cycle, Fish, Ski, go to Gym, Cook, Drink single malt scotch, Drink wine , Drink lager, get drunk, sun bathe, use digital camera etc.etc. ( How do I have time for TG2?).
It's an age thing Will!
Regards
Kevin.

Sethren

I don't render much any more sense summer began. Ah Poopie!  I have to wait for the winter so my PC stays cool for hours of TG2 render times. If i do render anything it's with other software so that it's shorter lived, it has to be for the time being. :P  If i did render TG2 images i would listen to my music, clean the house, work on my story concepts or sleep.    ;D     

Kevin F

Quote from: Sethren on July 11, 2007, 05:12:49 PM
work on my story concepts     ;D     

Yeah, what's that about? Sounds intriguing
Kevin.

rcallicotte

Yeah, I agree.  You don't have to tell us your ideas, but this sounds delightful. 

Quote from: Kevin F on July 11, 2007, 05:56:15 PM
Quote from: Sethren on July 11, 2007, 05:12:49 PM
work on my story concepts     ;D     

Yeah, what's that about? Sounds intriguing
Kevin.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Sethren

Well, one night back in the early 90s, probably late 92' i found this new age/ambient music station sponsored by PBS called Echoes and all these cool images started popping in my head and it has not stopped since. Basically it's a series of incomplete science fiction stories and literally hundreds of pages of various ideas all relating to these stories in some way. It's huge, just way to complex to really give a general idea of the overall synopsis. It's a really a story of humanity, good vs the bad, human conflict told by a huge assortment of colorful characters. A lot of film had inspired me and of course the music. The sub-genre is say a mix of classic sci-fi, cyber-punk and suspense. Not much film inspires me anymore. I have matured a lot since my early years of writing. I find that most science fiction stinks full of cliches and the same stories told over and over. It's lost it's appeal i think, it's all cardboard characters and mindless action. Anyways i don't want to get into a huge discussion onto why i dislike 90% of sci-fi out there as that can go on for days. In my mind i just have always wanted to do what others have only hinted at. There is so much potential for this genre still.

I don't know if i will ever fill in all the gaps to my stories. Honestly i am more of a conceptual person and have a serious case of writers block.    ;D

Will