How do you pass the time while rendering?

Started by Will, July 09, 2007, 06:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Maybe it isn't writers block.  Maybe it's taking time to finish the idea.

What did you think of the last film by Kubrick that Spielberg finished?  If this is too off-topic, I'll switch to a new Topic.

Quote from: Sethren on July 12, 2007, 02:10:08 PM

I don't know if i will ever fill in all the gaps to my stories. Honestly i am more of a conceptual person and have a serious case of writers block.    ;D

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

no no I'll give you permission...this time
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sethren

Quote from: calico on July 12, 2007, 02:59:27 PM

What did you think of the last film by Kubrick that Spielberg finished?  If this is too off-topic, I'll switch to a new Topic.

You mean AI. It was OK. The last hour of the film IMHO dragged and had a very depressing meaningless ending. It's like it lost all substance and honestly i really did not care for this robot child. I think if he would have had more time to develop with his assigned parents then maybe it would have been more plausible to care for him. Also we really did not get to know the human characters to well. There roles where to short lived. The film had potential.

Will

what are your opinions on the new star wars trilogy?

rcallicotte

This is exactly what I thought, but you know Kubrick passed on just before the movie was finished.  Spielberg completed the film and some think it was not his best work.  I bet that would have have been difficult, but maybe that last hour should have been left alone for awhile for artistic reasons.  And then again I would only guess the moguls wanted their $$.

Quote from: Sethren on July 12, 2007, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: calico on July 12, 2007, 02:59:27 PM

You mean AI. It was OK. The last hour of the film IMHO dragged and had a very depressing meaningless ending. It's like it lost all substance and honestly i really did not care for this robot child. I think if he would have had more time to develop with his assigned parents then maybe it would have been more plausible to care for him. Also we really did not get to know the human characters to well. There roles where to short lived. The film had potential.

rcallicotte

HEre's my opinion -

They're fun and a lot more light-hearted than the first three (which are the middle three in context).  For whatever reason, Lucas seemed a lot more patient with the crew on these recent films.  It's almost like being in character wasn't as important.  The story was cool, the graphics cool, some of the scenes were magnificent; but the problem I have (which I overlook every time I watch any of them) is that the characters don't seem real.  Easy for me to say, I guess, since I don't act. 

Nevertheless, I love sitting down over a period of a few weeks and watch all six in order.

Quote from: Will on July 12, 2007, 05:24:56 PM
what are your opinions on the new star wars trilogy?

Will

yea, I thought they were a bit too focused on the romance than having a true epic feel. But we did get to see yoda fight and that makes it all worth it.

Sethren

They annoy me. Lucas has lost it IMHO. They are nothing like the old episodes. To me they seemed more like effective eye candy then anything else. It's to cutesy, to kiddy. There are a lot of inconsistencies as well. I liked The Empire Strikes Back the best, well done, dark, the characters suffered, good plot. This is Star Wars at it's best i think. ROTJ could have been better though. Known fact that Lucas' wife had the idea of having Wookies but after there divorce he decided to include the Ewoks and to me that turned the film into a more light hearted element. I mean Ewoks helping defeat The Empire? Please!    ::)

I read somewhere the the Wookies were used as slave labor the build The Death Star so having them to replace the Ewoks would have made a good vengeance plot and all that much more meaningful.

Episode III was OK. I liked the fact it was darker but still can not stand Haden Christansen as Anikan. I still see a whiny cardboard actor every time i see his performance. Overall i think the last film brought a decent closer to the series leading up Darth Vaders beginnings (Minus the "Nooooo"!) and the construction of The Death Star.

Will

I did like the first one though, or at least parts of it. Not so much the story being told in it but that universe it implied. The Wookies were going to be in a scene in episode three but it got cut for time. personally I though the scene rocked but that just me.

Kevin F

Quote from: Sethren on July 12, 2007, 02:10:08 PM
Well, one night back in the early 90s, ..........................
I don't know if i will ever fill in all the gaps to my stories. Honestly i am more of a conceptual person and have a serious case of writers block.    ;D

Very interesting, I hope you get to pull it all together some day. I used to be a big Sci-fi reader years ago. Read all the Philip K Dick books which are varied but can be excellent when you get used to his style. My favorite Sci-fi book of all time though is Non Stop by Brian Aldiss, highly recommended, If you haven't read it but are going to, don't be tempted to read any of the final pages. The ending is amazing.
Kevin.

moodflow

hey, semi off-topic, but I play Lux Delux (which is just risk, but has various maps to keep variation).  Its light in CPU usage, so you can play while you render!   ;)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Mavcat