4K for les than 700

Started by TheBadger, March 31, 2014, 04:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/31/samsung-launches-4k-28-inch-monitor-for-under-700/

Anyone know what the quality and life expectancy of 4k in this price range would be? I did not have much hope I would ever be able to own a 4k set up, but 700 is relatively affordable. Compare it to apples 4k monitors :o

It has been eaten.

PabloMack

Well, if war breaks out with North Korea, then Samsung products might dry up for a while.

matrix2003

I have had nothing but success with samsung products.  In fact I will be buying the 27 inch monitor after researching your link.

Thank you.       8)
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

matrix2003

-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

yossam

They will just badly Photoshop the war.  ;)

PabloMack

Quote from: yossam on March 31, 2014, 07:36:09 PMThey will just badly Photoshop the war.  ;)

I don't think it was photoshopped.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/video/north-south-korea-trade-fire-amid-evacuations-23124293

(I think two threads have crossed paths)

Seiki Digital has a 50-inch 4K TV for sale on Amazon.com for $699 though I can't vouche for their quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz/dp/B00BXF7I9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396316876&sr=8-2&keywords=4K+TV

TheBadger

Quote from: matrix2003 on March 31, 2014, 07:32:54 PM
I have had nothing but success with samsung products.  In fact I will be buying the 27 inch monitor after researching your link.

Thank you.       8)

Ah! Well good. Your welcome. please let us know how it works out if you pick it up.

I went to buy a new printer today. When I was checking prices at one store I took a walk over to the TV section. The samsung 4K TV were about a 1000 less than some of the other brands. the samsung did not have every bell and whistle that the more pricey TVs had, but they were pretty comparable. Makes you wonder how much a TV gets jacked up for added software. Some of the TVs had built in "up convert" to 4k for content.

I also asked about 4K content at this store. They said they really did not have any yet. But that you could stream from sony and up convert. The sales guy had no idea (his words) when you would be able to buy a 4K movie to own. But that they were selling a lot of 4K sets. He said no one was buying the streaming packages from sony or anyone else though.

I guess people like the TVs and know change is coming. But the sales guy said no one wants to buy any add-ons yet. He said people don't want to get stuck with what happened to 3D and what is going to happen to blue ray. That made me glad I spent as little as I could on my blue ray player, and Im glad I did not buy a bunch of blue ray disks. I guess 4k content will all be cloud and streaming?

Anyway, the demo content playing on the TVs looked absolutely fantastic!

It has been eaten.

zaxxon

I've been drooling in front of the floor models for a while now. Problem is what would I be able to watch now on "The Future Of Television"? But a 28" 4K resolution monitor, well that's a different story! Thanks for the heads up TheBadger, be looking close at this one.

TheBadger

Quote from: zaxxon on April 04, 2014, 12:15:36 PM
I've been drooling in front of the floor models for a while now. Problem is what would I be able to watch now on "The Future Of Television"? But a 28" 4K resolution monitor, well that's a different story! Thanks for the heads up TheBadger, be looking close at this one.

Yeah, its even less than a standard mac monitor. Which is funny. I was looking at all the samsung phones today when I returned my printer (picked up the wrong box from the shelf without realizing it ::)). Anyway, samsung just has nice everything! IF they start a price war, apple and some others are going to be in real trouble, because only a moron is going to pay 900 for a standard apple monitor when they can get that samsung 4K for even less.

I have to say I still hate windows, and like OSX a lot (despite some complaints) But IOS sucks nuts. Really it does. And the iphone does suck Im prepared to admit. And the galaxy and others look real good, a lot better. Plus android is pretty slick. But Im done with "smart phones" anyway, all the service plans are a complete rip off. I love the tech but I use them over wifi mostly, what do I need to spend 80 bucks a month for? I should get a tablet. Anyway, Im just rambling again :D The point is, everything samsung at the store today looked great, and was extremely price competitive.

It has been eaten.

Kadri

It is too soon to buy a 4K tv. I would wait at least 2 years and probably more.
If you want it for tv you have nearly no channels and no 4K movies around.
If you want it for the pc there are problems that will have still to be smoothed out.
My own plan is to buy one 4-5 years later and if they become mainstream.
And if you have plenty of money to spend then there is no such thing like " too soon to buy" at all :)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7906/dell-up3214q-review/8

TheBadger

Quotehttp://www.anandtech.com/show/7906/dell-up3214q-review/8

Hmm, well maybe thats what the premium on the mac monitor is for then? I mean, if there are general tech issues with 4k, maybe apple is charging more because its the only one that works right, now?

Thanks for the link Kadri. It is a good word of caution!

Oh man! Software, hardware, this one that one, this is MADDENING! What "little guy" can afford to be wrong? I will go nuts before I know where to put my money! (refering to the modo thread a little here  ;)) Well guys, keep sharing your findings on ALL of these topics we get into. I would settle for just a little consensus on a number of topics at this point  :o

It has been eaten.