Creating .obj files from a scene

Started by FrankThomas, December 26, 2006, 03:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankThomas

Is there any way of saving a "scene" as a .obj file so it can be imported into another scene ? I'm thinking specifically of asteroids here but it might be applicable in other cases as well

manleystanley

Look in the terrain Heightfeild generate, add operator, export LWO. I haven't done it, so I'm not sure if it will work; considering I haven't found anyway to import a LWO.   
"So you think you can tell, heaven from hell, blue skys from pain.
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail? a smile from a veil?
do you think you can tell?" P.F.

MooseDog

Quote from: manleystanley on December 27, 2006, 08:41:55 AM
Look in the terrain Heightfeild generate, add operator, export LWO. I haven't done it, so I'm not sure if it will work; considering I haven't found anyway to import a LWO.   

cool tip, thx!

add object>lwo reader

seems more stable than the obj reader imho. 

FrankThomas

I did try it with some asteroids I rendered and it did create the lwo object but I have a feeling I got the settings wrong - I could import the lwo again but couldn't see it.  Have to keep fiddling I guess :)

manleystanley

I've yet to get the LWO reader to come up. I select it, and something happens, but no menu comes up to select a LWO.

FrankThomas

You have to go into the settings of the LWO reader to select the path for the file you want to open

manleystanley

FrankThomas

Somewhat yeah - then again, this is a technology preview :)

Oshyan

There's no need to save something like an asteroid as a object file unless it was already loaded from external geometry. Anything that has been created in TG2, such as a planet displaced to look like an asteroid, can just be saved as a "clip file" and loaded separately into other scenes that way. Just select the nodes that create the object or effect you want to save then go to File->Save Nodes As Clip File. Specify a file name and location, then you can load it from there at a later time and incorporate it into another scene.

You can create and export geometry from some scene elements, but it's a bit complicated and should not be used for what it sounds like you want to do. It's the least efficient approach, really. The only time I would think you'd want to use geometry export is if you wanted to load some part of the TG2 scene in another 3d app.

- Oshyan

samsamysam

Quote from: JavaJones on December 29, 2006, 09:40:08 PM
You can create and export geometry from some scene elements, but it's a bit complicated [...] The only time I would think you'd want to use geometry export is if you wanted to load some part of the TG2 scene in another 3d app.
- Oshyan

That's exactly what I want to do.  I want to export in *.obj file the Planet in Maya to animate a Camera which will zoom on it.
Did you know a way to do so?

Oshyan

There are two possible methods but I think neither is ideal for your specific case because you're essentially wanting to export a full planet, which doesn't lend itself well to a heightfield-based approach nor a "through camera" geometry exporter. Nonetheless here's a thread on that in case you want to experiment: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=243.0

- Oshyan