Stereo Camera Import

Started by jbashyam, April 07, 2014, 09:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbashyam

Does anyone know how I can import a stereo camera rig from Maya? Currently I am baking out the individual left and right cameras and bringing them into Terragen... however, once in Terragen the convergence doesn't seem to be correct. I am using the zero-parallax attribute in Maya, which seems to control the film back.

Matt

The only way I know how is to export the left and right cameras separately.

According to this:

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html?url=files/GUID-ACC3EC75-5564-49FB-9571-CF43ACCA001A.htm,topicNumber=d30e680986

the zero-parallax attribute offsets the film back when in Off-axis (default) mode. This information won't be transferred to Terragen because we don't currently support offset film back rendering. However, you could offset the images in X in the composite to give the same result (you just need a bit of padding on the left and right of the render). I've worked on some projects where we did this. It's useful because you can adjust convergence without re-rendering anything.

If you switch the camera to "Converged (toe-in)" mode, it should actually rotate the cameras, and since rotation is supported by Terragen it should work.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jbashyam

Awesome, the "converged" mode did the trick. Thanks for your help... I gotta say, you guys have really awesome customer support! Much appreciated.