A Non TG planet animation (all MODO)

Started by TheBadger, April 08, 2014, 12:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

I found this while noodling around the MODO forum. I thought you guys would enjoy a look at this animation. It is a super big file so it may take a few to load and play, but I think it is worth the short delay. You will have to look at it on their forum because it is hosted there.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/gallery/video/view.aspx?id=573

Looks not too great at first, but then, BAM!  :)
What do you think?
It has been eaten.

archonforest

Great stuff man! Thx for the link. I was watching and waiting for the bam....but nothing...and then whooaaa...very cool idea.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

PabloMack

In the version of Modo I have (401) you have to do planets in the miniature as the data types used for coordinates don't have the range for real world distances.

TheBadger

I am not at all sure what the differences in the versions are. No idea if the issue you described has been corrected. I would hope so though.
there were no comments in the video gallery. After being a part of this forum, I always get a little nervous about other forums, where you don't get as much freedom to talk openly. I fear that things I would want to know about the software are not openly shared.

Also, I cant tell you what scale those models are at. I tend to doubt that they are "real world", like we would be able to in TG. But I also think it would be exceedingly hard to do that animation in TG. The impact of the celestial objects for one. And the camera moves for another. though with the camera path we could do that pretty easy. But navigating all those moving parts in TG would be pretty hard, (or rather getting those moving parts to act the same way). Still, I tend to think that if all that could be done in TG, it would look more real (if realism was the point)... I would guess.
It has been eaten.