Exploring and Sleepy Mountain

Started by Aragon Speed, July 12, 2007, 07:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragon Speed

I'm still practising with the tech preview, but here are the first two pictures I've done that I feel are worth showing off.

Exploring.
Sleepy Mountain

The first picture has an imported Boron Krait model from the Xtended Mod for X3: Reunion.

Comments and criticism welcome. ;)
'Sings we a dances of wolfs.
Who smells fear and slays the coward.
Sings we a dances of mans.
Who smells gold and slays his brother.'
Pagan saying.
Xtended Mod Website

rcallicotte

Like both.  The first one needs a little more detail on the forward terrain.

The second one reminds me of flying on a cool morning.  Great feel.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

The second has more in terms of realism, in my opinion, but with some more work on the foreground the first has lots of potential.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mavcat

Agree with calico and blaggard,on the first one the foreground needs more detail,and on the background on the left a bit more random population,it looks like crops now :p Second one is good,only you can see the different colors on the mountain,which makes it looks low-res :)

Aragon Speed

Thx for the comments. The first picture was more an exercise in importing a large model. It should also have a ton of grass filling the gaps, but I haven't got enough ram for a population of that size yet (TG2 kept crashing with the grass turned on ;D ). It was also supposed to have someone walking up the slope toward the camera, but my model has 49 different textures and the multi-shader only allows the first 17 when trying to import it from an .obj. Don't know if the full version of TG2 will support more entries in the multi-shader, or if there will be a way to associate textures with model parts so you can use multiple multi-shader's. You can see all the textures in the node network, but any above the first 17 are just sitting there not attached to anything, and I don't know of a way to associate them with particular surfaces in TG2.

Quote from: Mavcat on July 12, 2007, 11:19:04 AMand on the background on the left a bit more random population,it looks like crops now

I agree. This population was perfect for the foreground, with grass filling in the 'bare earth', it was perfect for framing the ship and the person walking up the slope. I wanted to add another population to the background to fill out the starkness, but I ran into the 3 population limit of the tech preview. :(

Quote from: Mavcat on July 12, 2007, 11:19:04 AM
Second one is good,only you can see the different colors on the mountain,which makes it looks low-res :)

Not quite sure what you mean by that. If you mean the speckling and banding in the dark areas of the mountain (WOW you have sharp eyes ;) ), I have just seen it now that you have pointed it out. I have checked the orig .bmp and found it's not there, it must have been introduced when I converted it to .jpg. >:(

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know if TG2 will support full specular maps instead of the generic specular setting the tech preview has?
Pagan saying.
Xtended Mod Website

Mavcat

Well if you want,i can try to render it,2gb of RAM here :D

Oh,and try converting the .bmp in a program as photoshop,or irfanview,you can set the quality of the .jpg there :)

sjefen

I like the second one, but as old_blaggard said..... the first one has lots of potential ;)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Aragon Speed

Quote from: Mavcat on July 14, 2007, 12:54:20 PM

I scrape in at 768mb of ddr333 ::) . Thx for the offer of re-rendering for me, but it still wouldn't be finished without the figure so it's not worth the cpu cycles imo. ;)

Quote from: Mavcat on July 14, 2007, 12:54:20 PMOh,and try converting the .bmp in a program as photoshop,or irfanview,you can set the quality of the .jpg there :)

I used PS CS2 on max quality :o , that's why I didn't double check the quality b4 posting. :(
Pagan saying.
Xtended Mod Website

Mavcat

Quote from: Aragon Speed on July 15, 2007, 03:57:47 AM
Quote from: Mavcat on July 14, 2007, 12:54:20 PM

I scrape in at 768mb of ddr333 ::) . Thx for the offer of re-rendering for me, but it still wouldn't be finished without the figure so it's not worth the cpu cycles imo. ;)

Quote from: Mavcat on July 14, 2007, 12:54:20 PMOh,and try converting the .bmp in a program as photoshop,or irfanview,you can set the quality of the .jpg there :)

I used PS CS2 on max quality :o , that's why I didn't double check the quality b4 posting. :(
Weird,a max quality jpg with such colors ??? png <3