Simple Shape Shader causes white edges when lowering height of terrain

Started by lumalu, April 28, 2014, 01:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumalu

Hi Guys

Ripping  my hair out here,

I have  created a mountain range and then used a Simple Shape Shader to flatten a portion of the terrain, to create a valley in middle of mountain, but this causes white edges and a flicker in render. Like the patch / area is moving that was flattened!

Does any one have any clue why this is?

I have turned every off, and still does this, so weird.

Really need help, Gareth

Dune

Strange. I suppose you used soft edges (bevel checked)? Did you uncheck the black edge color? Any chance of a tgd, so we can have a look?

lumalu

Hi Dune

Thanks for the response.

I have attached a image highlighting the possible problem, The simple shape shader may not be the problem, I really have no idea, just a guess.
But this scene was used before and rendered no problem, then had the simple shape shader applied for a new shot, so i thought it maybe this.
I played with lights fog and every thing to get rid f but nothing!

This was rendered with

- smooth step
- edge width 200
- i checked apply edge color (which is black)

Are you saying to un-check the box next to edge color?

As you can see on the image it makes the patch area brighter, but the worse thing is where the contrasting colors meet at the edge actually flaps in scale! So it looks strange on render.
I'm preparing my self to do a camera projection patch in Nuke if i can not fix in 3D.
But this is allot of work.

Thanks for response, I'm super newbie at Terragen so its quite baffling when this type of problem arises.

Gareth

Matt

If the area appears to be moving, I think it's probably flickering GI. You could try writing out a GI cache file and reading that in for the render.

http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_2_Global_Illumination

Even so, there shouldn't be any hard edges in the GI if you're using default settings.

I see that the edge colour in your Simple Shape Shader isn't truly black. It's about 4%. This could cause a noticeable step at the edge of the smooth step, but I think that's a separate problem from what you're seeing. Anyway, I would recommend unchecking "apply edge colour".

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.