Reflection Glossy Falloff

Started by dorianvan, April 10, 2014, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorianvan

Is there not a way to create a mirrored ball in TG with glossy falloff, like this?
-Dorian

dorianvan

-Dorian

fleetwood

Don't know exactly what you're trying for but you can adjust the roughness setting in the reflective shader to .4 to .8 to get more dispersion of the light.
You could also turn off ray traced reflections in addition to boosting the roughness and see if you like that effect.
I added a second sunlight to try to match the example image you showed, it looks like it used a couple of lights at least.

This First image uses ray traced reflections, roughness setting of .5, refractive index 10. I place the reflective shader right after the sphere's default shader and set the color in the default shader to black.

Second image uses ray traced reflections,  reflective roughness .5, ref. index 10, highlight intensity .7. I added a very tiny (all scales set to .001) power fractal to the displacement function of the sphere's default shader and set the displacement multiplier in the default shader function down to 0.001 to give the imported sphere a very tiny bump map for more difused effect.

Dune

What do you mean by glossy falloff? Just the 'edges' glossy, rest not so?

dorianvan

Thanks Fleetwood, interesting looks, but not really what I'm after. I'm doing an animation where an arrow is flying through the forest and I was considering using Terragen for full scene render, rather than rendering the arrow in another program and comping it in. I'm trying to recreate the materials in TG that I have here (with even the scratches in the metal).
-Dorian

Dune

Should be possible, if you can send me the arrow, Dorian, I'll have a look. You should have a new file by now.