Inky's marblesque

Started by inkydigit, April 16, 2014, 04:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Some unmapped models I made in Lightwave (9) were totally black in TG before hauling thru Poseray (or mapping in LW), so there might indeed be a difference between softwares.

j meyer

Michael - PM sent

Ulco - yeah,I remember you mentioned it before somewhere and
         I think it'd be worth a little investigation.

TheBadger

Hey Ulco and J.

Ulco. please look at the first link in one of my previous posts. Do you see how each stone block in the wall on the left has a different texture and details? I was thinking that if that is sorta what I want to achieve, than I need to make each block in my walls a separate object if I use TG shaders? I think you are right that shaders are a preferable way to go on an already detailed model. But I may have built this thing wrong if that is what I want to do?
Well, I am sure with the help of you guys I can make someing work and look good. Just have to keep going I guess.

J,
I want to work on it for a few more days (the modeling). I will send you the whole thing if it is small enough like you asked. Or I will send a piece of it. I will share a part of it with the community as I said I would in the Vector thread anyway, as a TGO. So if we can get it looking really good, than that will be very fun for me!

This is a really big modeling project for me. Im modeliing a lot of buildings both ruins and new :o So whatever brain power I can take form this forum to make things go faster will be good! As it is, I can only work on it a few hours a week :(
It has been eaten.

Dune

A separate object is not needed, but a separate part. If you pick some poly's that belong to defined blocks (not half a block), randomly chosen, and give them a texture name, and pick some others and give them another name, and a third set, you can color those differently in TG, and it would look quite random.

You could mail me one as well, so I can have a go, if you can't fix it. But I'm sure you can!

TheBadger

^^ Ill send one to you as well Ulco. this week. I want to do the decimation detail. I found a .mel script for maya that makes doing decimation a bit faster. And the ruins just wont look good without that detail. Or I would have to use a image map for displacement. But I am still thinking about the vector thread we had.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Ok guys. I see how this works now. This is really tricky. You have to UV map depending on the outcome you want first. Not map than seek an outcome. I did not understand that before, though now I understand that is what people were saying. Well, glad to get here anyway.

So I will keep working to finish, then send the files. And you can change them however you think they will look best. And then please tell me what you did and why.

soon!  :)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on May 26, 2014, 02:12:47 AM
Ok guys. I see how this works now. This is really tricky. You have to UV map depending on the outcome you want first. Not map than seek an outcome. I did not understand that before, though now I understand that is what people were saying. Well, glad to get here anyway.

So I will keep working to finish, then send the files. And you can change them however you think they will look best. And then please tell me what you did and why.

soon!  :)

hip hip hooray ;)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

lol.
Its just funny. I spent so much time trying to make perfect UVs. But thats not the best way now :o
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on May 26, 2014, 03:01:31 PM
lol.
Its just funny. I spent so much time trying to make perfect UVs. But thats not the best way now :o

Don't recall if I mentioned this but my original modeling software Imagine did not generate U/V mapping so anything I made in it is 'naked' as it were. I convert them to .obj and run them through PoseRay, mapping them cubic and have had good luck so far. There are somethings like walls that I use planar for, and spheres spherical logically, but for most stuff I just let PoseRay do the work.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Yeah you guys all mention poseray. But it does not run on OSX Last I knew). I sure wish it would though. I would love to see this miracle program you guys all use.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on May 26, 2014, 08:26:41 PM
Yeah you guys all mention poseray. But it does not run on OSX Last I knew). I sure wish it would though. I would love to see this miracle program you guys all use.

Sorry bout that...get a cheep win doze laptop for PoseRay would be my next advice, heh heh heh...I'm doing the same with a mac for my live recording.

just found this, I think it's a link for PoseRay mac
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/poseray.htm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

this is a quote from the forum I found it on

Hi,

PoseRay for Macintosh (PowerPC, MacOS 8.6 or later *with* Carbonlib 1.2
or later, this includes MacOS X 10.1) is available.

Special thanks to FlyerX for providing me with the sources.

PoserRay for Macintosh looks and works the same as the Windows version
except that:
- line endings are not important (dos, unix, mac);
- this version also reads objects with no normals;
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Thanks for the current info bobby! I'll check that out tonight.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

OK, thats not going to work. Its for a super old version that will not run now. But there appears to be a current version. Problem is I don't know which one is for me.

What is the difference between pov and pose ray? Which of these do I want? It looks like one is a renderer. But I am not looking for that. Is it all one in the same?

http://megapov.inetart.net/uberpov_mac/index.html#Mac
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on May 27, 2014, 07:50:30 PM
OK, thats not going to work. Its for a super old version that will not run now. But there appears to be a current version. Problem is I don't know which one is for me.

What is the difference between pov and pose ray? Which of these do I want? It looks like one is a renderer. But I am not looking for that. Is it all one in the same?

http://megapov.inetart.net/uberpov_mac/index.html#Mac

POV is a modeler/renderer and PoseRay is a converter, written to enable POV users to incorparate Poser dolls. POV = PersistenceOfVision...cute name. Though I haven't tried it you may also be able to render in PoseRay but no point with TG3's fine renderer.

is this the link I gave you before...it's in a .sit package there at the top od the page. doesn't look familiar to me so it might be new
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/poseray.htm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New