Marble Hill

Started by fleetwood, April 16, 2014, 09:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Yossam : Doesn't look the same. The bands or lines in my render are not regular and change depending on the pixel filter used and also they are in a 25-40 degree slope area. Your regular grid appears like a tiled image.

Kadri : This is the Marble Hill base terrain. I made it by recreating the values by typing in the parameters just to eliminate the possibility of making a copy of a corrupt TGD.
Still has the GI banding. As it is set the crop only takes a couple minutes to finish and show the banding.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on April 20, 2014, 03:36:53 AM
That also looks like a problem posted a while ago by (forgot the name... Yesmine, maybe) where banding occurred in grass pops. Did you use the GISD in that last file Richard? And what filter? I looks like the same issue.

What was the solution? Do you remember Ulco?

fleetwood

Quote from: Kadri on April 20, 2014, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: Dune on April 20, 2014, 03:36:53 AM
That also looks like a problem posted a while ago by (forgot the name... Yesmine, maybe) where banding occurred in grass pops. Did you use the GISD in that last file Richard? And what filter? I looks like the same issue.

What was the solution? Do you remember Ulco?
I think this is the thread. It wasn't exactly solved but had the appearance that the bands were due to displacements in the terrain. ------> http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17984.0.html

Kadri

I see.
Thanks for the file Fleetwood. Curious what is happening.

yossam

GISD is on (default) and the filter is narrow cubic. I'll try the other filters to see if anything changes.

Kadri

Quote from: yossam on April 20, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
GISD is on (default) and the filter is narrow cubic. I'll try the other filters to see if anything changes.

He tried that on the 2. page Yossam.

Kadri

Fleetwood i looked at your file.
Not sure but from what i see i think you are too close to the ground (for the scales you use)
and the Warp shader itself or the combination makes real banding on the ground that is not easy to see at first.
If this is normal and only an unfortunate union of the shaders or an error-bug of TG3 i don't know.

fleetwood

Thanks Kadri,  that explanation sounds pretty likely. Maybe GISD doesn't like tiny distances.

With my camera position the scope of the preview window has to be bumped  with the [  key to allow for close display.
It didn't occur to me that I might need to revise all the terrain scales for a closeup render like this that is confined to only a few meters of Terragen space.
Next time I move the camera in really close I will try fractal scales more appropriate for what the camera takes in or else keep it big and boost my objects by a factor of 10.

Kadri

Still it is interesting that we see this only now.

I tried it with a default TG3 scene only without the simple shape shader and look what you can see if you get close enough.

fleetwood

That is interesting. Perhaps the equivalent of getting down to polygon level, about one step from seeing "the man behind the curtain"   :)

Kadri

Yeah i actually though about the fundamental elements of terrain in TG3 :)

I have done more test .
I think it is a combination with the "Fractal Warp shader" and the "Multi-scale modulator".
When i searched for the same pattern only using the"Fractal Warp shader"  or only the "Multi-scale modulator" i could not see that pattern.
But i have done too many tests to give an accurate TGD file or to say that i am sure.

Kadri

Quote from: yossam on April 20, 2014, 12:44:39 AM
Sorry to interrupt.............is the pic attached basically the same thing? It is the default scene with 4 surface layers............that's all.

Maybe it is because those same layers are exaggerating the displacement they have already?

I tried it with 4 basic surfaces but could not get a similar pattern.
Can you give more information or the TGD file Yossam?

yossam

I know which layer is causing it, I just don't know why. Fleetwood was right. I have a fake stone layer last in the stack. There is a tiled image map applied to the stones. I can adjust the width of the rows by adjusting the size of the image map. I don't remember having this before, or I've never noticed it.  ???

Dune

I hope Matt or Jo will chime in and shed some light on this.