Marble Hill

Started by fleetwood, April 16, 2014, 09:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Thank you Kadri for your tests. This is more food for thought.

Kadri

:)

How is your render going on Fleetwood?
Will we see another version ?

fleetwood

I'm pretty close, I've got a version rendering now .....

fleetwood

Final with revised rocks and gamma level. Ultimately I rendered a separate crop of the upper left shadow portion with GISD set off, and comped that area in to a full Narrow Cubic render  (31 hours), in order to avoid artifacts. Even using the Narrow Cubic pixel filter wasn't sufficiently free of banding.

zaxxon

Looks great! I think it turned out beautifully, very nice image and render. The shadows are much more pleasing to my eye, very nice!

kaedorg

choronr

Almost could reach out and touch ...you've invoked beautiful realism here,

Dune

Yes, the comping made it a beauty. There's only one patch of striping still visible, but I don't want to spoil your fun  ;) (it's in the shadowy part of the trunk under the finger)

I tried if the banding had to do with bucket size, but abandoned due to other things. But I think it's really up to the crew to come up with a solution.

Kadri

Looks great :)

Quote from: Dune on April 22, 2014, 02:20:15 AM
I tried if the banding had to do with bucket size, but abandoned due to other things. ...

I haven't tried it with different bucket sizes because at least the pattern i got
were on the ground and not depending on the look-direction of the camera.

...But I think it's really up to the crew to come up with a solution.

I think so too and had always kinda the "Where is mama-papa ?" feeling of a child at testing.
Seriously i am still curious Ulco ;D

oldm4n

fleetwood

Thanks for all help and comments.

Yes, the comping made it a beauty. There's only one patch of striping still visible, but I don't want to spoil your fun  ;) (it's in the shadowy part of the trunk under the finger)

I tried if the banding had to do with bucket size, but abandoned due to other things. But I think it's really up to the crew to come up with a solution.

I noticed the striping on the trunk shadow, but kept it, telling myself it can be a "special bark fungus pattern"  ::).

Matt

I think it's being caused by "noise variation" in the Power Fractal combined with very small scales (around 1mm). With Kadri's file I was able to make it happen with just the Power Fractal, without Fractal Warp Shader and without Compute Terrain. But I couldn't reproduce it when I set noise variation to 0.

Unfortunately I think you're just reaching the limits on how far you can zoom into a Power Fractal. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed. But I guess that with smaller numbers for "lead-in scale" you might be able to zoom in closer.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Thanks Matt.
I wasn't sure if this was something to be fixed or the way Terragen works too.
Good to hear it from you. It is probably one of the things we should know at working.

fleetwood

Thanks for looking into it Matt.