Started by AP, April 18, 2014, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

That price is a joke, bad idea to launch with that kind of price tag
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

orogeny_fan

I'm sorry to hear of cajomi's health problems and I will remain a big fan of his baby - Geocontrol.  I hope the World Creator mafia won't shut down my Geocontrol license. 

Besides cajomi's interesting approach to surface geology (my field of study), I have always admired his good judgement of including a .TER export capability.  I hope he made a fortune on the SDK deal. 

An SDK.  How nice!  Perhaps I'm not alone when I confess that I'm into this for the art and not the computer science.  Node networks are about all I want to manage; I don't do SDK's. 

It is very nice to read all the news over my morning coffee and know that no one is taking away my TG Pro.   

TheBadger

never mind
It has been eaten.

efflux

Quote from: TheBadger on April 20, 2014, 07:55:37 PM
QuoteSo the 'Standard' is 199 euro and the "Professional" is 899 euro.

So what is this then?

QuoteGet a Licence for Commercial Use

The commercial use of maps or files generated by WorldCreator (directly or indirectly) requires a commercial license for the product that is using those maps or files. The commercial license is free for indie developers or for companies with a turnover less €50.000 at time of shipping.

After purchasing a commercial license for your product you will receive a license document via email. This document grants you the unlimited use of maps and files generated by WorldCreator for your product. Pricing depends on your turnover and is capped at €2.499. Below you will find the pricing overview with respect of your turnover.

Company Turnover        Price
€50.000 - €250.000         €299,-
€250.000 - €1.000.000         €499,-
€1.000.000 - €10.000.000      €1.299,-
more than €10.000.000      €2.499,-

Anyway, at 899 euro they can suck it. The GC2 that I have functions. And WM will (I have heard) be ported to OSX. So I'm pretty much done playing games with software companies now. There is enough choice in just about everything now, that I have no problem bailing on anyone for any reason. I am absolutely certain that the sentiments I have for planetside do not extend to other companies.

Autodesk EON and on and on. At a certain point these companies that are always going on about piracy have to look in the mirror when they call people thieves. Pffft! 899 euro my ass.

I was done with it a while ago. The only really expensive software I have is Modo and even that's cheap compared to Autodesk stuff. The pricing system for World Creator is crazy. I do music. I used to have "Pro"tools but the cut down native version. Avid are kind of the Autodesk of music. I then moved to Logic. that was £130 on the Apple store. That was great Until Apple decided to make a "Pro" X version full of bugs and extra bloat. Now I'm moving to Reaper which is $60 and probably the best digital audio workstation of all and they will clean up because anyone can afford it. The big giants of software and really in funny farm territory with their pricing but World Creator isn't even in that league. There seems to be no relationship between quality and cost with software. I do in fact think Terragen is worth the cost even although I'm not using it (maybe some day I will again). Terragen is also probably the most bug free software I have ever used.

TheBadger

nevermind
It has been eaten.

mhaze

The price has now come down to 149 euros and you get all the features.

I've just bought it.  It has a nice clean Ui and is much faster.  It has considerable power and with a little work with the selectors you can create all sorts of useful mods to the terrain.  Erosion and sediment tolls are excellent and you can extract maps from the render tab.  It's more complex than world machine in some ways but probably has more power.

TheBadger

Quote from: mhaze on April 28, 2014, 07:55:30 AM

I've just bought it.  It has a nice clean Ui and is much faster.  It has considerable power and with a little work with the selectors you can create all sorts of useful mods to the terrain.  Erosion and sediment tolls are excellent and you can extract maps from the render tab.  It's more complex than world machine in some ways but probably has more power.

Just looking at the sediment images it looks nice. Max map resolution is the same for standard and pro- 8192. And vector tools is something TG needs!

So the only difference between the standard and pro is support (but you still have the forum) and looks like networking, but that makes some sense.

So with 30% off, $206.00 then. still feels a bit high. But that is a number that makes me less... agitated.

@ mhaze
Can you say how stable, fast/responsive it is?
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Very stable. Speed varies obviously lots of erosion filters make it slow but it seems faster than the old geocontrol.  It's a much cleaner interface easier to use.  BTW the discount doesn't extend much beyond May. The sediment system is interesting and it's much easier(subjectively) to make masks and extract them for export. So at the new price 20 euros more than GC it's value for money and there seem to be plans to continue to upgrade it. 

TheBadger

Thank you.

Reasonable and persuasive, mhaze. I retracted my eariler statements as WM altered course and has shown responsiveness to people's comments. Still, Im a little hesitant because I want it. Just tired of paying for one thing and getting something else.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially in the long term as development will continue apace.

rcallicotte

It doesn't seem different than the last version of Geocontrol, which I already have. Do you know what's different?

Quote from: mhaze on April 28, 2014, 07:55:30 AM

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

AP

The user interface is better layed out. There are the new Sediments Filter which change the game on morphological material transport. This is very unique to this software. I have seen nothing else like it. It seems faster to me. The crashes were all fixed. The Isolines are stable now. It is in a position to grow sooner now and new features being added.

Oshyan

Sediments Filter sounds interesting. Are there any clear examples of this online?

- Oshyan

AP

There are some examples at the cloddy forum but not many. Sense it is a new forum I would imagine there will be more examples of that soon. Also at the cloddy web site for the software page itself, there is a video but as to how helpful it is, I do not know.