GeoControl is now World Creator

Started by AP, April 18, 2014, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Thanks Chris. I wondered and will look into it. Thank you for the explanation.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

AP

No problem, I will post the download page right here for the demo in case anyone wants to give the software a try and a link to the forum as well.

http://www.cloddy.com/index.php/wc-purchase

http://www.cloddy.com/forum/

codex

Hello everybody,

this is Stefan Kraus from Cloddy Technologies. First I want to say thank you to everybody who have purchased WorldCreator. GeoControl was nearly dead after Mr. Johannes Rosenberg contacted us to bring it alive again. Now it is back and even better than before. We will keep on improving it and a lot of things in UI and handling will change in the future. This will really be a lot of work but we are up to it.

The most new powerful feature is the sediment system. I know that it is not described until now in detail but that will change shortly. Also, it was very difficult for us to find a good license and pricing model. Johannes spent all his time in developing GeoControl and really large companies bought it for almost nothing. Sadly he was not thinking about a license model for himself meaning to get enough money to be able to further develop his awesome software. Things happened and we know how many difficulties he went through because of that.

We have changed pricing and licensing a lot (three times until now!!!) because we have received good and creative feedback from old GeoControl users. Together we approached a better price and a much acceptable license model for companies.

A lot more tutorials will follow soon and many things will change in UI and handling. It would be great if you would participate in our forum to improve that software product. We love it to get feedback (good and bad) because only then we can change things and make it more comfortable to all terrain lovers  :D

Thank you,
Stefan

rcallicotte

Thanks for your time and explanation Stefan. It looks very good.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Alexn007

So my geoControl is not working and I have to download a new version of GeoControl 2, but I can't seem to find a link to download it. All the links are broken, and the only links that work are for World Creator and this I will have to purchase. I've already purchase geoControl2, but this no longer works and there is no place I can download it again.  Wow feeling ripped off, and not sure I trust these guys anymore!

codex

Hello,

the reason why GeoControl is not maintained anymore and why updates for GeoControl 1 and 2 will not be supported any more can be read here:
http://www.bitethebytes.net/forum/index.php/Thread/9-GeoControl-is-now-WorldCreator/

WorldCreator is GeoControl 3 - we had to take the old code and rewrite a lot of stuff to make it stable and bring it back for the Mac, too. Also, WorldCreator supports the powerful sediment system with sediment filters.

Currently we are working hard on version 2 which will have a modern UI, will run on any platform and where generation is much much faster. We will also support much higher resolutions (up to 16k) and we will use the GPU to speed up a lot of things. Also some new features will arrive so it is worth upgrading.

But of course we do not develop for free - new versions take a specific amount of time and money until they are finished. So we cannot make any new major update (v.1 to v.2 and so on) for free - hope you understand this.  :)

However, we offer every GeoControl customer a 30% discount when upgrading to WorldCreator.  :D

* IMPORTANT *
Be careful not to purchase any GeoControl versions from resellers. We have informed all resellers that GeoControl is no longer supported with updates. Many resellers do not care about that and they still offer it in their shops without informing their customers.  >:(

Best

Alexn007

I just upgraded from GeoControl2 to World Creator. The software is pretty solid, it feels more stable then geoControl2, at least so far. I have only been using it for a couple of weeks now. I thought I would share some test renders, since I generated the terrains from World Creator and rendered with Terragen3.

Thanks,
Alex