Sunset Field

Started by Njen, July 13, 2007, 08:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavcat

EmDee1

Great picture! Sky is beautiful painted and I like your choice of the fore-ground: dark, grassy, "empty", but a lot going on there.

NWsenior07

I love the sky, it is one of the best I've seen period. Well done!

inkydigit

agree with everyone...beautiful!

moodflow

Hi Njen,

Any stats on rendertime, detail levels, etc?

Many thanks in advance...
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Njen

Sure :)

Detail: 0.92
Anti-aliasing: 10
GI relative detail: 2
GI sample quality: 1
GI surface details: on

I actually rendered two passes, because I couldn't get the right amount of sunlight on the geometry only, without affecting the sky in one render. So in the main pass, I just rendered everything as I had normally set up, then in the sun pass, I turned off the atmosphere, turned off the Environment light, and increased the intensity up to around 10. The render time was (Athlon 64 3700+, 2gb ram laptop) around 18 hours for the main beauty pass and 6 hours for a sun pass. There is a little post work done in combining the layers and a little colour correcting.

rcallicotte

@njen - very interesting (10AA!) details.  I've never done a two pass render.  I think I'll try it today to see what we can do.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Njen

I increased the AA only because the tree leaves looked quite noisy.

This is for those who don't quite understand how anti-aliasing/pixel sampling affects your render (Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure that Terragen works in the same way as other 3D renderers, but I am assuming so, as AA is a pretty common process and it's goal in various renderers are usually the same).

Say if you have 3 geometric faces that occupy the area of two pixels. A very low AA setting will sample less points and return a value for your pixel that may not look exactly right. A higher setting will sample more points in the pixel, returning a better average of what colour the pixel should contain. Below, on the left the pixel is only sampled once, resulting in quite different values for adjacent pixels. When these pixels are viewed at 1:1 on your screen it will look quite noisy. In the example on the right, the pixels are sampled more times, returning more accurate values, and reducing the contrast between the pixels, thus reducing the noise.

This mainly applies to fine detailed geometry. Having noise in your atmosphere, for example probably won't be entirely fixed by increasing AA, though it may help.

rcallicotte

Thanks njen.

Have you read this book or heard anything about it? - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240519353/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-3339306-1319019?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I'm about ready to buy it, after I finish a couple of others.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?