Asteroid in space ...

Started by russe166, April 20, 2014, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russe166

Hi!

Is it possible to create a population of objects in a volume like asteroid in space?

Michael

Kadri

What comes first to my mind is to use a very highly displaced planet and populate it with the asteroid.

russe166

That worked well ...  :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

bobbystahr

On a similar track, has anyone had success or tried to populate the Displaceable Disc? Was trying to make a ring of asteroids/space junk around a planet with the disc as it is easily adjusted to a torus...no luck so far....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

You mean make a population *of* discs, or a population anchored to a disc?

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on April 22, 2014, 02:42:08 PM
You mean make a population *of* discs, or a population anchored to a disc?

- Oshyan
onto a disc Oshyan
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well so far it's only the 2 discs that I can't populate on to...I have tried all the others with success..  ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

You can't populate displacable objects (yet). Well, you can and they're visible in preview, but don't render  :(  At least that's my experience.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 24, 2014, 03:52:59 AM
You can't populate displacable objects (yet). Well, you can and they're visible in preview, but don't render  :(  At least that's my experience.

I managed to populate all of them, like I said except for both versions of the Disc object, displaceable and non displaceable.
Buuut, don't recall if I rendered the tests...they showed up textures in the 3D Preview though...maybe that's what I saw
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

well I did it...all kwik n dirty but resolves the point
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Misunderstanding; I meant you can populate on displacable objects, but you cannot populate displacable objects.

bobbystahr

But if you turn the Disc as a Torus transparent the populations disappear...too bad about that..also used an imported obj for the asteroid/rings as I couldn't get the disc to map properly,  or at least determine which mapping worked as none seemed to. I would have thought Y planar style would work and tried that first but in a Default shader it 'flat' out didn't work and the others to a lesser degree.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 25, 2014, 02:19:28 AM
Misunderstanding; I meant you can populate on displacable objects, but you cannot populate displacable objects.

O K, yeah I found that as well...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New