Mavricks 10.9.2 and Terragen 3

Started by Jo Kariboo, May 03, 2014, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Kariboo

I downloaded Thursday Mavericks. I feel that rendered with Terragen are much slower. Did you notice a few things similar?

Oshyan

We haven't had any other reports of this. Were you able to do any specific tests, or is it just a general "feel"?

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

I have done render tests on OS X 10.9 and it didn't appear to be slower. I'll try it again to make sure.

Regards,

Jo

Jo Kariboo

Oshyan, no it is only an "impression" . Anyway I never specifically noted rendering time. But it's days reworking images it seemed that render times were shorter before Mavricks.

Jo thank you for your test.

Jo Kariboo

I think I have found. Mavrick has a function named APPLE NAP whose bur would be saved some energy application before. It seems according to this article she increase the rendering time some application as well as 3D and video editing. It is possible according disabled. The information to do this is in the article.

http://www.macworld.fr/mac/actualites,mavericks-app-nap-probleme,535425,1.htm

jo

Hi Jo,

I'm not sure it is App Nap that's causing the problems. Looking at the documentation it seems like it shouldn't be slowing TG down. However it's definitely worth turning it off for TG and I will checked whether to see App Nap is having an effect.

I did a render test with App Nap turned off for TG and OS X 10.9 rendered a bit faster than OS X 10.8. I only did one run though, normally I would do three and average them. In any case, I don't think Mavericks is any slower to render aside from any potential App Nap issues.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi again Jo,

I'm not sure how much effect App Nap is having, but it is having some sort of effect. I've added something to disable it during rendering.

Regards,

Jo