sinuous river

Started by oldm4n, April 24, 2014, 08:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldm4n

Hi guys,
on this new one, I played with image map shaders. This was very useful for masking and setting the river, trees and paths. The grass is 'procedural grass shader' from the presets pack and bridges have been made in blender.

trees: Xfrog;
bushes Mr Lamppost
cows: I colored some cows from http://lyndondaniels.com/blog/cow-and-horse-3d-models-and-textures/

Comments and critics welcome.

[attach=1]

Edit: changed a bit the grass color
[attach=2]

ra

Great work here. I like everything in this one, except how you located the cows. They are too distributed all over the area. I would reduce the amount and let them stay more next to each other (you usually see them standing together I guess).
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Dune

There's something about scales; the shrub look like trees, but small, and the cows look giant in comparison to the 'trees', but then there are the bridges, and is it a river or a tiny stream.... difficult combination. What if you increase size of the shrub/trees say 4x, you see the actual width of the 'river' decreases to a real stream. Add some more trees/shrub, and what Ra says, clump the cows. Then see what happens...

bobbystahr

Agree about the scale issues...I use a default sphere as a yardstick as it has 1 meter radius and sunk half way into the ground to it's center you have a 1 meter reference. Also the measure tool is handy although it only measures distances in the terrain.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Very nice scene. I'd love to have a morning stroll there. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

oldm4n

ra: thanks; you're right, cows were too scattered, so I clumped them.
Dune: when I read your comment,I thought: how dit I miss that ? it's totally obvious, you're right, there is a scale problem; I have to pay more attention on this. Thanks for your advice :)
bobbystahr: thanks for your tip, I used it in the image, it was very useful
N-drju: thank you, much appreciated :)

[attach=1]

Edit: forgot bushes

[attach=2]

bobbystahr

Much improved....I've found that if an image I'm workin on ain't workin out there's a problem with scale some where
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

inkydigit

I like this it is really nice.... I like the moood here!
sorry could not resist!
great surfaces and object placement... thanks for the cow link too, they can come in handy!
:)
Jason

bobbystahr

I noticed you used MrLamppost bushes...well he created a sizing .tgd with a ground grid and height pole. They are available over at the ashundar freestuff...I think
here
http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/guides/scale.htm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: inkydigit on May 01, 2014, 02:17:15 PM
I like this it is really nice.... I like the moood here!
sorry could not resist!

:)
Jason

Well it were either you or me Jason, heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

oldm4n

inkydigit: he he he, thank you :D
bobbystahr: thank you for the link, it will be very useful :)

Dune

Much better indeed, but now you need more species of trees and bush along the river. Denser in places, scarce in others perhaps, so you can see the river here and there.