Export Low file way to large

Started by gpdesigner, May 30, 2014, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpdesigner

Hello all . .
Question, is there a way to control th size of the exported terrain object. I researched how to export an LWO file from Terragen 2 but when I imported it into LW
it was too large, the mesh was almost 400 miles in a wedge shape . . 
Anyway to decrease this at all?
gp

Matt

Welcome to the forum!

The Micro Exporter exports whatever the camera sees, and that's why your exported object had a wedge shape. Often this is very useful because it puts detail exactly where you want it for a particular scene, in exactly the same way the renderer does. Every micropolygon that the renderer generates is exported to the object.

If you want uniform detail, place the camera above your terrain, looking down.

Detail is controlled by the detail setting on the renderer, or by the size of the image you render.

More info here:

http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Micro_Exporter

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gpdesigner

Thanks for that Matt, this couldn't have answered my question any better . .  spot on buddy . . .
I am looking to do a Battlestar Galactica animation and I need some errain for a Cylon Base . .
I have a planet made, now I need to come up with terrain . .  If I can incorporate a fly through on the terrain that would be
fan-freakin-tastic . .  but one step at a time . .   ;D
Thanks for the help . .
gp

gpdesigner

Tried to use the Micro Exporter tonight and keep getting error massages,
Warning: CreateObject: Unrecognized class: Object _writer
Error: ObjectwriterTGP: Unable to open output file
WriteObjectFile: There was a problem writing the object file:

Any ideas on these issues?
Thanks
GP

gpdesigner

Umm  . . ok I found out what I was doing wrong, I wasn't assigning the exporter to anything . .
silly me . .

Oshyan

Just to note that we do recommend you use OBJ or FBX output for geometry interchange and not LWO. The LWO format (or at least the exporter we have) has limitations on per-object file size and other issues that make it non-ideal if other formats are supported.

- Oshyan