Render error...

Started by archonforest, May 27, 2014, 06:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Since the last week I keep gettin' this "An unknown error occurred in a render thread" message ???
This message is not really helpful as I don't even know where to look.... :(
The error creates a black square in the render but if I re-render that part in a cropped render, then its all okay...

In another render I got a black square on the sky. I put the quality tab back to 0.5 and then it was fine. Weird...

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Story of my life...

Sadly, this is a memory issue buddy. :( I had just the same woes when I used version 2.4 for Windows OS on my Apple. I was also getting errors and crashes when working with huge populations like 2 million instances. They only way to avoid it (except from buying new computer) is doing crops but even then you might be forced to make them really tiny to work at all. :( I can even point you to the threads where I asked for help concerning this issue if it helps in some way.

Generally, the more detail you have in your render, the more memory is consumed. Back on Windows version I was really getting hard time trying to render anything above AA=4, det>0.65! This is someting Planetside Team should definitely take a good look at! (We count on you guys ;))
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

Hmmm...memory issue can be the problem...Since a week when I close my Acrobat Pro it crashes with whatever memory error message. I will see what is up with my memory sticks...

Dune

It may help to run as little apps as possible while rendering. Or insert more memory, if possible.

archonforest

Well i use several other programs in the same time plus listening music...etc but this problem started a week ago...
Yeah more ram would be good. I got only 4 in this machine...

archonforest

BTW if I restart TG then the render error disappear... :D 

N-drju

Don't get your hopes up.

I was also restarting TG after a crash, rendered the crop that was faulty, only to find out that another one later on was blacked out.

Basically it happens so because when you shut TG down the memory requirement drops drastically and you "liberate" some processor power.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"