Yes.
1 (6.7%)
No.
13 (86.7%)
None of my business.
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Dune

I agree with Hannes, and voted against the big game hunting, as I see it as a disgusting way of proving oneself. Might be people with a low self-esteem. It's a primitive urge from early mankind, so I can feel a little (theoretically speaking) what power it could give to overpower a big animal (it's in the genes after all), but I thought civilization should have ended such behaviour by now. But, of course, mankind will probably never throw off all these primitive animal-like urges, such as competition, war, killing.... we're still animals, in the broad sense of the word.

archonforest

Quote from: TheBadger on May 26, 2014, 08:23:18 PM
you guys are all against killing animals but presumably eat meat.

Don't think this is the case....
I think many of us against the idea of killing animals for fun! If u hunt something down Badger for food and survive I would not say anything. This is part of life. If you not kill that animal it might be killed by a puma or so... so what? Cant do anything about it. Part of the nature. But if you would go out to kill a bear for fun that would be another matter.
And lastly when you kill an animal in order to have food I call that "kill". When someone kills for fun I called that "murder"

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

Quote from: N-drju on May 27, 2014, 03:26:20 AM
Badger, since you are so bent on "Eat or die" idea then I have a proposal that could save you a lot of grief.

Just go to Kwik-e-Mart and buy some pork chops! See? It's faster and easier. No stress connected to death by starvation and you can feed anyone you like! And it's super-savings for you too! No ammo, no expensive hunter license, no rather-expensive rifle required...

Well thats just my point man. If your eating food from most super markets, your eating factory farm products. And trust me, factory farms treat their animals far worse than hunters do. Your basically eating animals that suffered their entire lives then were killed in a manor that can only be described as terrible. So this is why I mentioned hypocrisy if you read my posts.

Europe has 500,000,000 million people. So you think your all easting natural foods? HA! Your eating animals that were pretty much torchered to death. And the chemistry in the meat will probably give you cancer.

Where I live there are mostly family farms. I can skip the market and buy right from the farm, animal and produce. I can know exactly what Im eating, how the animals and produce were raised/grown. whether the plants are organic natural or gentic modified. And if the animals were grazed or not. I can know if there were hormons used or steroides or antibiotics. And I don't pay the mark up like at the super market.

And when we go hunting or fishing our diet is even better. Fresh water fish are great here (no mercury to speak of). And Venison is one of the leanest meats you can get.

But yet again, Im not for big game hunting. I just don't understand why hunting tags can't be sold when the animals will be killed anyway?
If there is to be a population reduction, why can't the tag be sold? It makes no sense. And I think you know you make no sense or you would not bring up poaching and such which has nothing to do with this thread.

And I would really like to know how you can think bull fighting/running is hunting? Besides, as I understand it, the bull often wins those things. Not that Im for that kind of thing either.

Anyway, keep eating your supermarket mystery meat. Ill keep doing what im doing. And nothing in the world will change. So what? ;)
It has been eaten.

N-drju

Got you there...

I know it is slightly off the topic but let me just say...

I've been to many farms. I mean, Poland is mostly about agriculture and farm industry. When you go out of the city it's, like, really hard to turn around without stepping on someone's pastures. I can only tell you one thing - we outlawed growing genetically modified food. It's been legally regulated for around eleven years now. Also, we have a pretty robust system of veterinarian control over farms and industry. What is more we have numerous medium and small sized companies popping up who offer quality food just for the people like you and me. People who are fed up with mass-produced chemical nutrition. I really do know what I'm eating man. In fact, our meat is better than any on even your best family farm. ;)

I don't think you can tell one death is good and other is inhumane. It is still death. What, do you talk to the deer's corpse? Something like "I gave you a good, clean death. A soldiers death." That's ridiculous! :( And why do you think poaching does not belong here?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

PabloMack

We all live because something else dies no matter how you look at it. We perceive that animals suffer but plants do not. We will be wiser for it if we understand that animal suffering has played a major part in making animals what they are. That's why the creationists can't comprehend the wisdom of God. Their paradigm doesn't accommodate this reality. So in my book, preservation of biodiversity is a more important issue than preventing animal cruelty. Though we should try to keep suffering to a minimum, saving plant (as well as animal) species from extinction trumps this issue in importance by a wide margin.  For that matter, it should be the main perspective to be considered in using hunting as a tool for wildlife management. In the end, as a theist, I believe we will all be held accountable for what we did with the biodiversity over which we elected ourselves to be in charge. You can always stop an animal from suffering tomorrow but you can never recover a species that took two billion years to evolve into what it was yesterday. The right to suffer goes hand-in-hand with the right to exist as an animal.

If we believe that the individuals that make up the cultivars that man uses for food and other purposes should not be suffering because of man's use of them, then we must come to the conclusion that they should not even exist. They also live because other life dies for them so logic dictates that they should be destroyed. They should not be taking land and resources that should otherwise belong to the wild types they came from which are much more valuable in terms of biodiversity.