Interesting Water

Started by zionner, July 16, 2007, 08:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Hi All

I've Been doing a lot of work on water lately...and I Just Rendered This Picture:

Tell Me what you think.

Also...I have More Water Renders in the thread where i was trying to find out a way around no transluent shader (before i was shown a way anyway)

rcallicotte

This has nice water, good lighting, and interesting colors around the horizon.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

The blending of shader and reflections is good. The shader itself is not able to convince me of transparent water, though.
The lighting is beautiful.

rcallicotte

I can see it's transparent, but I think I might be somewhat prejudiced based upon knowing you are working toward that end.  My guess is you could fix this by getting some really sharp and colorful textured stones at the forefront for your underwater terrain.

zionner

Thanks..

Yeah..I havent properly got to grips with the how to do it well... So could you please..Explain How...You would do something like that Calico..

Thanks

rcallicotte

To create stones like that you would need to do something like this - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=231.0 and this - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1553.0  That would be your ground surface.  The rest you know how to do.  Maybe it's possible (I haven't tried it) to even have your stones peeking out a little above the water.

You can do all that or wait until transparency is working.

Quote from: zionner on July 16, 2007, 10:04:34 AM
Thanks..

Yeah..I havent properly got to grips with the how to do it well... So could you please..Explain How...You would do something like that Calico..

Thanks

zionner

Thanks...I'm Gonna Look Into These

zionner

Theres one problem im having with the Comments here ^^ and its when i try to add stones..Which look Great, They replace the water surface at the Top..instead of looking as if at the bottom..Any Ideas how to solve this?

Thanks
Zionner

rcallicotte

Perhaps (and I don't know for sure) it's because the way your node network is setup that the rocks aren't underneath the water level.  Try (saving first) and the switch the placement of the rocks to not be at the bottom of your node link (just for the Planet) and move them up to let the water surface be the last node.

RArcher

Zionner, If you are using the method I posted earlier to get "transparent looking" water, then there really is no way around this until actual transparency is added.  Anything you put under the water level will not be seen because though the water looks somewhat transparent it actually is not.

rcallicotte

RArcher, does the method you showed to him include a way to put the fake stones inside the mirage?

zionner

If it Archers way Is by using the Two Surface Shaders, Then Yes It is..I tryed to add the stones by linking the stones to one of the surface shaders.

Edit: I'll Render a Copy to show you what it looks like

RArcher

I'll try and illustrate the problem as I see it as best I can.  There may be ways around it, and if so hopefully someone who understands the node network much better than I will show it.

Here is a sample node network to get some fake looking water transparency:

When rendered you get:

Now if you want to add some fake stones you are going to get something like this:

This is because what you are editing is the water layer itself, not the surface underneath.  You have to remember that anything you have underneath the water layer will not be seen because the water is not transparent in any way.  Eventually it should be no problem to build your surface with whatever you want, then put some transparent water on top, but that is not possible yet as far as I am aware.

rcallicotte

Without looking at this (I'm busy with some stuff at work), I'm wondering why you couldn't setup a Surface Layer (SL#1) to go into the Merge Shader.  This Surface Layer (SL#1) could have the Fake Stone layer that in turn has another Surface Layer (SL#2) feeding into it.  This last Surface Layer (SL#2) could have the Image Shader and Power Fractal of a good blend for the Fake Stone shader color.

Would this work?

zionner

I'll Try it, I didnt use that..I Used to Surface Layers, One as a child layer to the other, which inputs into the Water Shader...I'll Try Calico's Idea...

Edit: It dosent look like it will work, You can check it if you like though.