Mountain Vista (WIP)

Started by otakar, July 03, 2014, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

I wanted to share a WIP render of a scene I have started before I go on a little getaway. Objects are Walli's and Mr Lamppost's. I am still planning on adding more detail and I am debating the foreground tree, but the terrain is pretty much finished.

Off to the mountains I am....

kalwalt

Quoteand I am debating the foreground tree,
i understand your doubt. If i can say a good word that can help, very difficult to creat a composition with an object in the middle and that make a cross with an orizzontal line, the eye undecide for one or the other, i will suggest to move on the right a bit to make an asimmetryc composition, and changing the other tree position accordingly. You could left as it is but maybe you should give a good reason why I should be right there (in relation to the composition, of course). This is what I had been taught at the academy of fine arts. Apart this i like the vegetations, and the overall of the picture. :)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

jdent02

I second what Kalwalt said.  Right now I'm really not sure where I should be looking, as the foreground and background are fighting each other for attention.  In addition to Kalwalt's framing suggestions, another classic is to use depth of field to focus the eye where you want it.  In this case if you want people to look at the mountains in the background, you can set the focal plane at that point and then dial in an F-stop of 8 or so to *very* slightly blur the foreground.

Aside from that nice work on the terrain.

archonforest

Nice work. On the tree I would try to put it at the left side in between the other long ones...with this u still have something close if you like and open the view also... :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Antoine

Very nice start ! To further improve the image, you may also add some color variation to the background forest.

David.

kalwalt

Quote from: jdent02 on July 04, 2014, 09:45:40 AM
I second what Kalwalt said.  Right now I'm really not sure where I should be looking, as the foreground and background are fighting each other for attention.  In addition to Kalwalt's framing suggestions, another classic is to use depth of field to focus the eye where you want it.  In this case if you want people to look at the mountains in the background, you can set the focal plane at that point and then dial in an F-stop of 8 or so to *very* slightly blur the foreground.

Aside from that nice work on the terrain.

Depth of field is a good idea!
I am very interested to see how you'll end up the picture @otakar! ;)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

otakar

Thanks for all the feedback, that helps a lot! Just got back from YNP and with a plethora of inspiration. I could spend weeks in the wild, off the grid :)