How to export from 3DCoat to Terragen?

Started by kalwalt, June 05, 2014, 07:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: kalwalt on June 05, 2014, 03:21:50 PM
i usually works in linux OS (ubuntu 14.04) and windows7,. I used gimp to convert the maps, i know of Irfanfiew, and i will go a chance if you reccomend to me. Now i'm struggling with the bump map of the mesh, i get erorrs or Terragen crashing, not still understood why, FOr now i will test all the options and i will inform of my progress in this topic. :)

I used the color specular map as a bump map and had no problems:
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kalwalt

Thank you @bobbystahr! i will try it for sure! :D
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

bobbystahr

Quote from: kalwalt on June 06, 2014, 04:36:20 AM
Thank you @bobbystahr! i will try it for sure! :D

That sample is way exaggerated from the amount of bump I'd normally use, I set it to 1.0 where as I normally never go above .05(default .01)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

kalwalt

QuoteThat sample is way exaggerated from the amount of bump I'd normally use, I set it to 1.0 where as I normally never go above .05(default .01)
yes, i realized this while rendering; a little amount do nothing, it's unseen. thank to point it out!
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Upon Infinity

So far, I've found that every object I've imported from 3d coat into Terragen seems to have like a clear coat on it, like it's wrapped in plastic or something.  I typically solve this by reducing the specularity to 0 or near 0, as I consider it the least important texture setting.  I also haven't created any particularly shiny objects yet, so it hasn't been an issue so much to do this. 

I was going to start a thread on here on what's in an .mtl file as I find that a lot of information is not transmitted to Terragen from other programs.  Specifically, bump maps (and specular maps) from other programs don't make it into the imported Terragen object, but diffuse colour maps do.  It's a small thing to put them in manually, but it does become tedious after awhile and I wouldn't mind at all if I could eliminate that step.

kalwalt

Thank you @Uponinfinity for sharing this, maybe will be fine also open a topic on the 3dcoat forum, at tis point will be useful to know if other people had thos issues and if can be solved in 3dcoat itself. I mean if the 3dcoat exporter  could be imrpoved....
I would do also other tests, not in the next days (going in the mountains to work), but the next week  i will be more free. :D
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

bobbystahr

Quote from: kalwalt on June 06, 2014, 05:37:39 PM
Thank you @Uponinfinity for sharing this, maybe will be fine also open a topic on the 3dcoat forum, at tis point will be useful to know if other people had thos issues and if can be solved in 3dcoat itself. I mean if the 3dcoat exporter  could be imrpoved....
I would do also other tests, not in the next days (going in the mountains to work), but the next week  i will be more free. :D

I personally run 99% of the models I use through PoseRay to sort out the parts shader if for no other reason on multi part models. Seems to work every time.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New