A question

Started by yossam, June 10, 2014, 04:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

I have a scene I'm working on that has a building that has a BUNCH of windows. Each window is separate and has it's own shader. Is there any way to insert a clip file one time to cover all the windows or will I have to use a clip for each window? There are 48 windows that need a glass shader in the scene.

Any help would be appreciated.................... :-[

choronr

I would think you could have only one clip and connect it to all the window shaders doing this in the internal parts.

yossam

Tried that.................it won't connect to more than one at a time.  :(

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 10, 2014, 04:43:24 PM
I have a scene I'm working on that has a building that has a BUNCH of windows. Each window is separate and has it's own shader. Is there any way to insert a clip file one time to cover all the windows or will I have to use a clip for each window? There are 48 windows that need a glass shader in the scene.

Any help would be appreciated.................... :-[

What I do is I apply my shader or network if using a merge shader setup to the first window in the network view connect the shader/networh to the opacity function, and then on subsequent windows go to it's Opacity function and click the + next to Opacity function...see pic and navigate to the glass you've created and select. I always name my shaders that I use like this with an ! at the start to keep them at the top of the stack especially if I have a lo of windows. If you are using a merge shader network you select that one and if like me it's mainly a water one adapted it appears renamed as !Glass shader.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

yossam

I think maybe you posted the wrong node setup.  :o

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 10, 2014, 08:28:02 PM
I think maybe you posted the wrong node setup.  :o

was just an example how to get to where you can access your shader...I'll find a building one and re post.

EDIT
this is a freebie  from rendo I think that I'm testing
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mindsap

That's strange I've never had a problem connecting one clip file to multiple objs.
Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

bobbystahr

Quote from: mindsap on June 10, 2014, 09:48:27 PM
That's strange I've never had a problem connecting one clip file to multiple objs.

my first thought as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

I have never done it that way............... ;D

Dune

QuoteEach window is separate and has it's own shader
So it is within one object? I'm thinking without TG at hand now, so I might have it wrong; if you make a surface shader, just anywhere, no color, add the glass setup as child, and name the surface shader something simple (A GLASS). Then go inside the object(s), add a null shader, connect its input (rightclick) to the A GLASS, and its output into the object's parts shader (delete the default shader that was attached to it). From my head, that should work.

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 11, 2014, 02:32:38 AM
I have never done it that way............... ;D
discovered it quite by accident as that didn't work in the past. Used to have to put the water shader between the default and parts shader, still the easiest way to do chrome tho with a reflection shader.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

That's the way I do it................. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 11, 2014, 06:30:55 PM
That's the way I do it................. :)

You should try my trick for doing multiple windows, sure saves me time.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New