Ben Nevis challenge revisited

Started by bigben, July 18, 2007, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurav

Just a note you need Photoshop CS2 or higher if you want Photoshop to process EXR images natively. You can of course use EXR with photoshop CS or earlier with an EXR plugin. EXR format is a great way to work with TG2 renders in post as bigben has mentioned.

rcallicotte

Thanks Ben and Saurav.  I have dinked around with this, but didn't clearly understand the advantages until now.

Quote from: bigben on July 22, 2007, 04:46:30 PM
When you're saving your render, change the image type to EXR. After that, open in Photoshop and convert to 8 or 16 bit (I convert to 16 bit first in case I want to perform additional tweaks).  When you do the initial conversion, you get to choose things like exposure and gamma for the scene.  I use the adaptive method, and manually tweak the curve on the histogram.

The advantage to this is that you get very fine control over highlights that may be blown if the render is saved at 8 bit at the start.  In this file I have bumped up both the sun's strength and atmospheric glow amount, both of which can cause blowouts of highlight detail in the sky.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?