Rice Terraces

Started by Tangled-Universe, June 18, 2014, 04:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

I was thinking about how to do rice terraces in TG and suddenly had a little epiphany on how to do them easily and in a lazy way.
The setup allows any kind of terrain to be used and needs very few settings to have number of terraces and terrace depth to be changed.

This render is by no means a work of quality and has flaws, but it's just a proof of principle.

Cheers,
Martin

Dune

Nice concept. Will you be working this out?

Luc

interesting, it could be used also to make a "pamukkale-like" landscape:

http://cristimoise.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/pamukkale_04a.jpg

luc
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys,

Ulco, yes I'm planning on doing something better with this technique.

Luc, thanks for the suggestion. Very interesting!
Perhaps also a nice project for you? ;)

Martin

kalwalt

Hi Martin, nice idea! but do you design the scene entirely in Terragen? i mean the heightmap is generated from Terragen or did you use another software to design it? :)

Walter
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: kalwalt on June 18, 2014, 09:35:21 AM
Hi Martin, nice idea! but do you design the scene entirely in Terragen? i mean the heightmap is generated from Terragen or did you use another software to design it? :)

Walter

Doesn't matter what you use, because the function which creates the terraces is made within TG using just 3 nodes basically.

So you can use a heightfield load/generate and a powerfractal terrain, doesn't matter! :)

mhaze

Excellent hope to see more of this.

kalwalt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 18, 2014, 11:27:47 AM
Quote from: kalwalt on June 18, 2014, 09:35:21 AM

Walter

Doesn't matter what you use, because the function which creates the terraces is made within TG using just 3 nodes basically.

So you can use a heightfield load/generate and a powerfractal terrain, doesn't matter! :)
ok good to know! i'm wondering how you did the edge of the terrace that retains the water.... ???
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Kexikus

Sorry for the thread necro, but I've been looking for a way to create mountain terraces like these and this thread is the only thing I found.

So I was wondering if this project was ever completed or if anyone has the current version or just an alternative but also procedural solution. Thank you :)

Dune

It's quite easy in fact.

Kexikus

That really is quite simple... I just didn't think of using the Strata and Outcrops shader.

Thank you very much  :)

Tangled-Universe

That's indeed a simple way of doing it.
I did it in a different way though, also using a strata shader, but if I recall correctly I just shifted the strata and outcrop with a transform shader.

It's evident Ulco can do basically anything with a simple shape shader :P

Dune

::)
The problem is that you can't easily mask the terraces, with shifted simple shapes or another method that might be easier.

Tangled-Universe

I don't have that problem with my method, because I use a difference scalar to create the mask.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 29, 2017, 08:13:45 AM
I don't have that problem with my method, because I use a difference scalar to create the mask.

Smart, must remember that
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist