Iceberg

Started by Dune, June 19, 2014, 02:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I don't believe it, Ulco!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dune

I tried something else, so here's the clue for this one; first give the ice a blue glow, then add cracks and another surface shader inversely masked by the cracks with a white and slightly luminous color. So the outer ice will be whitish, but the cracks remain bluish and luminous. Still have to fiddle to get the exact amounts, but we're used to that.
Now I have to find the perfect cracks, which is hard as well. Tried a x to scalar + sinus for some vertical cracks, but they're too even, even when masked by PF. Warped voronoi is nice, but the horizontal parts are not really needed. Ridged PF? Mmmm. I was just thinking of a combination of voronoi, warped by squarish blocks for some nice effect... have to experiment again.

Hannes

This looks already quite good. Maybe the iceberg is a bit too much displaced? A bit too crumpled?
The cracks look really convincing!

bla bla 2

mhaze

The last one really glows like ice - brilliant work.

Dune

Yeah, the berg sucks. Got a better one here, but still a better scene is rendering now, better terrain and clouds added. Masked the last whitish glowing layer by a fractal so that here and there the bluish light stays visible.
And thanks for pointing me to my brown rocks; it just slipped into it. I have to work on different rock types and not throw in some brownish hues just like that.

choronr

Both looking good, especially the last one. I'm wondering how the glow is effected as the sun elevation is lowered. Would you have to make adjustments to the glow?

Dune

Yes, the problem is that shadows aren't as deep anymore with a glowing surface. Maybe a low glow will help.

mhaze

The last one makes me shiver! Great work. BTW how are you constraining the foam to the peaks of the waves?

choronr

Agree, the second image is good. It seems that most times, changing the sun's position requires certain setting adjustments to the nodes.

Dune

Foam restrict is by min altitude, very simple. Final altitude and use Y, then take the average water height and a meter of fuzzy, depending on the wave height. You can use favor rises as well. And the windswept foam stripes are restricted by stretched and rotated PF, but they're not too visible.
Here's another iteration, with some stuff to get the size of the monster. The problem (black edges here and there) with the water/icesheet I still have to face. Probably the horizon shift of the water shader. No polar bear, I leave that to someone else on this forum  ;)

choronr

It appears there is some action here with a sectional collapse of the berg; very nice.

Hannes

;D ;D ;D
That looks fantastic, Ulco! Great sense of scale. I'd rather not be in the pilot's seat!

yossam

Great pic..................... ;D

oldm4n

Mayday, mayday ...
Very nice image, I love the blueish cracks