Help for an absolute newbee

Started by ESimard, July 22, 2014, 04:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESimard

Hi, I would like to create a canyon wall 300dpi 8 in high by 48 in long (backdrop for a model train layout).  With some color changes and adding a bit of weeds the "Canyon-preset-tutorial.tgc" is perfect.  But I'm totally lost getting it to extend to the 8x48 in.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks Ernie

billhd

Ernie, You're saying you want an output size of 14,400 wide x 2400 high pixels.  Or you are saying that you want to use a 300 dpi printer with the final output expressed in inches. I'm answering the first. Click on the Renderers button on top.  Enter that image width and height in the dialogs of those names at the left of the main window.  Set your detail and antialiasing. Hit Render Image.  I now suggest instead that with the Lock aspect ratio button checked, you reduce the output size even if using a registered version.  The size you want is very large and will take time to render. Usually it's best to do test renders at smaller sizes.  Then if you are happy with the result you could render at higher resolution and settings.   If using the free version, get the maximum size you can at that aspect with highest allowable detail and antialiasing (6 and 4 respectively) and increase the image size in an image editor such as GIMP. Also a bit rests on how good a printer you are using.  For that size image you may not get the result you want with the free.  Planetside lists the specs of the various versions on their main site. Good luck.

Dune

You could also make a circular canyon wall, but only the outside of it (use a circular SSS to make it, displace the terrain down), position the camera in the centre, tilt zero, and render a few renders of 2:1 ratio, 45º turned each render, put them together in PS. You will have a few minor warps where they fit pixel to pixel together, but with stitching software like PTGUI this can be recalculated. Ben is an expert in this.
If you make renders less than 45º apart, you can stitch them, and might loose the warps.

Dune

Something like this setup.

bigben

To get you're 6:1 ratio though you don't need to make the canyon very deep.  If you go in a full circle your image only needs to be 60° high. If you use a sharp bend in a canyon instead and say 180°, then your down to 30° vertically.  You could either stitch images together or use the spherical camera and do it in one render. 14400px is not that excessive for a single render.

ESimard

Hi all, thanks for the info.  I mentioned 300dpi because I assumed that would be the max resolution I could get with the free version.  As is changing the render size I can only get about 8 in by 16 in.  Perhaps stitching is the only way I can get to 48 in's, unless there is another way.

Thanks again Ernie

Kadri

Quote from: ESimard on July 23, 2014, 12:39:49 PM
...I mentioned 300dpi because I assumed that would be the max resolution I could get with the free version....

Not sure how much you know about these things but have a look at here.
Especially at the link that PorcupineFloyd gave there.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,10040.msg104639.html#msg104639

ESimard

Thanks Kadri I now know more about dpi than I did.  I was confused/wrong
_E