Testing geotiff

Started by bigben, June 26, 2014, 10:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

He's been in touch. Had to Google Hirise....  Wish this train would get home faster now ;).  Should be straightforward. Might have to render at work though... hit my RAM limit, although interestingly TG keeps running, it just ignores a quadrant of data. Drove me nuts for a while until I twigged to what was happening. thought there was a problem with the exported data.

[edit] So in theory it's quite easy, but there's just a tad difference between MOLA128 and HIRISE  ;)  but geotiff should be a practical format for getting the data into TG.  This is a screengrab of a single DTM on top of MOLA128 (from: http://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_017762_1890)
[attach=1]

bigben

Here's a quick render of that, with a quadrant of MOLA data.  Mixing the two certainly provides additional background terrain for stills. For a space-surface animation it may work if you cut the hirise data up into some lower res segments to provide more of a transition between the data sets.  That would reduce the area of high res data, but with the right terrain you might be able to pull it off.

Last image is "standing" on the surface

Also downloaded potential landing sites in Eberswalde crater. Multiple DTMs providing reasonable overlap.  Gale crater looks like another good candidate.

Mahnmut

Well, that looks very promising!
Many thanks for looking into this.
And with HRSC at 150-50 m/px there is another source for the medium resolutions...
I´am beginning to believe that this animation could be done after all.

Cheers,
J

Mahnmut

Isn´t it fantastic what kind of data the good people at NASA and ESA provide?

bigben

Yes, and kind of ironic that I can get data at higher resolution for Mars than I can of my own backyard (for free). I'll get to use all of my GIS toys (errr... tools) for this one ;)

TheBadger

Um, so I don't think I had ever seen (or maybe just payed attention) to the blue before. So this may be a stupid question, but, what is the blue part of mars made of? Same as the rest but blue, or whats going on there?

The first animation was cool. Looking forward to more!
It has been eaten.

bigben

There's no life on our moon but on with water on Mars there may be some Penicillium Roqueforti in the soil?  ;)

"Artificially" coloured images are partly to blame.  Most of the images are all combined from greyscale images at different wavelengths so it partly depends how they're processed.  I'm not too familiar with the chemical composition though... some homework for you.

Mahnmut

Concerning the blue surfaces I think many of the images are color-enhanced, so a bluish grey looks more blue, even more so in contrast to the surrounding reddish colours. In Bens animation test I think it is rather the blue atmosphere over a desaturated grey map.
But there are also the so called blueberries, which seem to be made of some distinctly bluish grey iron compound:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-03/20/content_316619.htm

Cheers,
J

TheBadger

Thanks! Really interesting stuff, top to bottom.
It has been eaten.