Homo Erectus

Started by alessandro, June 29, 2014, 07:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

Pleistocene, Africa: a clan of Homo erectus gather around the fire at dawn.

Landscape (rocks too), trees and figures rendered in Terragen. Grass, distant bushes and some clouds made in Photoshop.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

yossam

Cool pic................. :)

Upon Infinity

Interesting.  Awesome lighting!

choronr

This is well thought out and very effective image. Excellent creativity Alessandro.

masonspappy

Man, that's a good image!

Dune

Very nice, the lighting (and hairs on these guys) are terrific. I don't want to post too many crits, but why not do the grasses in TG as well? And the land beyond the first grass looks a bit bare, or is it?

alessandro

Thanks for all the comments.

Ulco, yes probably the terrain beyond the camp it's too barren and creates an abrupt unbalance: initially I wanted to create a more desertic and arid area, but then got drifted away putting too much dry grasses on the front.
About not using TG to render grasses, the answer is that I'm trying to learn new techniques like speed and matte painting, compositing in order to produce images at a higher pace. I know there is a long diatribe all over 3D sites where people discuss the "purity" concept of 3D art, i.e. untouched renders vs. postworked and composited ones.
Personally, as I'm getting more and more little work as landscape artist, I'm in need to produce images quickly and so merging base renders with real-life photographs or 3D elements coming from other renderers is a step I need to take.

archonforest

Great render. Like the lights and the sky alot ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Thanks for your explanation, Alessandro. I figured you had a reason for doing so. I'm not a purist, but for exact lighting I prefer as much internal stuff as possible. I'll be doing a new commission soon, where I need some Stone Age people rummaging around in their camp, but they will have to be painted in as I don't have them in 3D, so I have the same thoughts about this.

alessandro

Quote from: Dune on June 30, 2014, 11:10:31 AM
Thanks for your explanation, Alessandro. I figured you had a reason for doing so. I'm not a purist, but for exact lighting I prefer as much internal stuff as possible. I'll be doing a new commission soon, where I need some Stone Age people rummaging around in their camp, but they will have to be painted in as I don't have them in 3D, so I have the same thoughts about this.

Well, you could do those folks quite easily with DAZ Studio. There are both Neanderthal and I believe Homo Erectus expansions for the Genesis character (I designed my own Homo Erectus set in this case),  and that could put you at ease creating the 3D scene.

Dune

Thanks, Alessandro. You mentioned it before. I still have to dive into that, but everything is taken so much time  :P

alessandro

Ok, if you need any help, let me know, I'm quite accustomed to that stuff.

Dune

TheBadger

QuoteI know there is a long diatribe all over 3D sites where people discuss the "purity" concept of 3D art, i.e. untouched renders vs. postworked and composited ones.

Really? I have not run into such ranting yet. I guess the plus side of trying to do everything in one software will really teach you the boundaries of the software in question. But I gave up on this as a way of working too.
It is too bad though. One software to rule them all still sounds like the best way to go to me.. No such thing though :-[ 

Another nice image from you, alessandro.  8)
It has been eaten.