Homo Erectus

Started by alessandro, June 29, 2014, 07:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaedorg

Always fan of your realisations. Beautiful work here and thanks for your explanations.

David

alessandro

Quote from: TheBadger on June 30, 2014, 11:29:18 PM
QuoteI know there is a long diatribe all over 3D sites where people discuss the "purity" concept of 3D art, i.e. untouched renders vs. postworked and composited ones.

Really? I have not run into such ranting yet. I guess the plus side of trying to do everything in one software will really teach you the boundaries of the software in question. But I gave up on this as a way of working too.
It is too bad though. One software to rule them all still sounds like the best way to go to me.. No such thing though :-[ 

Another nice image from you, alessandro.  8)

Well, not here in these forums, which I must say are frequented by very educated and constructive people. But go over cgsociety, or one of those computer art groups over facebook, and you'll see. Not so long ago I opened a Terragen/vue FB page meant to show landscape works from both softwares, and had to shut it down after 2 days because of the harsh debates of pure renders vs. postworked ones. Lesson learned.

About the "one software to rule them all" topic, that's an interesting one. Unfortunately, as you said too, there is no application or suite that is able to cover all the needs.
Terragen is excellent for terrain and atmospherics, but it's still missing somekey features that would allow to create and render scenes containing particle effects, objects with more complex materials, dynamic plant/tree generator etc.
Vue has more features, it has a more user-friendly interface, but personally I never quite liked it much and I hate their price policies.
So that is why I'm trying to learn how to composite renders because Terragen for me is number one when it comes to terrain and sky generation, and on top of that I can combine renders or images coming from other packages. We'll see how far I can go with it...
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

alessandro

Quote from: kaedorg on July 01, 2014, 12:43:37 AM
Always fan of your realisations. Beautiful work here and thanks for your explanations.

David

You're welcome David.

TheBadger

I think by and large people agree with what you said. For me, I stick with TG over Vue because of the results the experts get. I mean, if you look at a lot of really good Vue renders, and you also look at a lot of really good TG renders, then I think something starts to stand out. And then all of those extras that Vue has dont really mean as much... That is, if you use other soft with TG you can do much more than vue on its own AND you will get more photo real results... Still there are some things to complain about in TG but there always will be :P

QuoteI opened a Terragen/vue FB page meant to show landscape works from both softwares, and had to shut it down after 2 days because of the harsh debates of pure renders vs. postworked ones. Lesson learned.

THAT PISSES ME OFF! I love to see people building things on thier own (websites, media, art, culture, anything). And I hate when other people come in and shit up something before it really has a chance to get going. I guess everyone is guilty of quick and harsh statements (I sure am), but it really sucks when people start to pile on, and then bury the original idea (especially if it was a good idea)

Anyway, keep sharing your visions and thoughts! You never know when something will explode in popularity and turn into a real cultural/entertainment icon.
I was looking at your hair webpage. Just imagine, because you did that, someone could use it and make a cartoon/movie characters that becomes cultural icons. Thats pretty cool to me. Same with TG and Vue and all the other soft. THe poeple who make this stuff are automatically part of everything! Wish I could program. And and as far as TG goes, the SDK will really be a big deal when its out... I think. IF you can make plugins for DAZ and poser, maybe you will be able to make plugins for TG?
It has been eaten.

archonforest

Quote from: alessandro on July 01, 2014, 05:57:43 AM
Not so long ago I opened a Terragen/vue FB page meant to show landscape works from both softwares, and had to shut it down after 2 days because of the harsh debates of pure renders vs. postworked ones. Lesson learned.
OMG I hate this thing...some people just barking instead of doing something creative...
I think there is no best sotware, computer or others...I remember some fights from the past about Commodore Amiga vs Commodore C64 or kung-fu vs karate...hehehee.....so useless debates...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

Quotekung-fu vs karate
I vote for Smith and wesson  ;D ;D
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: alessandro on July 01, 2014, 05:57:43 AM
... Not so long ago I opened a Terragen/vue FB page meant to show landscape works from both softwares,
and had to shut it down after 2 days because of the harsh debates of pure renders vs. postworked ones.
Lesson learned.

I missed that but i was nearly one of the guys who got into round two of that debate.

After some self good and bad experience in forums in the past years i think one of the main problem is trying to communicate by writing.

I have a friend with whom i write  in Skype daily and sometimes we get into strange heavy arguments
that ends mostly in that we see that we are saying the same things actually.
Now we change to voice calls in such moments and everything is sorted out very fast without much ego clashing.

If you add the problem writing and understanding in another language and sometimes kinda harsh personalities, age factor ,
dividing subjects in itself and the internet shielding factor etc. it can get only worse.

choronr

Here today, gone tomorrow ...just make the best of any situation.

alessandro

Quote from: TheBadger on July 01, 2014, 02:20:13 PM
IF you can make plugins for DAZ and poser, maybe you will be able to make plugins for TG?

Yes, I think I could and I will definitely try to do something with the SDK as it comes around.

gregtee

Lighting ratios are great. 
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N