Stone Age

Started by Dune, July 04, 2014, 10:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leafspring

Quote from: Dune on July 04, 2014, 10:44:56 AM
A new work; stone age settlement near a swampy depression. It will have a lot of trees and shrub, as well as some folk doing their Stone Age thing.
First test (detail) of the sandy campsite; some tents I need to refine and first grasses. Idea is to make it a hazy sunrise, with vapor among trees and over swamp. It's looking great in my imagination, but I still have some problems to tackle (mainly the people).
Seeing the attached "first test" file I just have to ask - where did you get such beautiful grass? Did you create the model yourself and/or is it part of some kind of pack?
I remember doing some grass tests a couple years back and it just didn't look any good which was probably due to the model used.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Dune

Nothing special about the grass; it's the internal grass clump, reduced in size (10m is a bit wide to have it rotate nicely to little bumps, so I think I made them 1.5m, with less blades), and colored by the same colors as the ground.

leafspring

Quote from: Dune on August 08, 2014, 10:32:02 AM
Nothing special about the grass; it's the internal grass clump, reduced in size (10m is a bit wide to have it rotate nicely to little bumps, so I think I made them 1.5m, with less blades), and colored by the same colors as the ground.
Then it probably wasn't the model but rather my ability (or lack there of) that made it look bad back then.  ::)

Thanks.  :)

Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

otakar

You improved the dwellings! Love it. Overall image is another gem and this time with all the people in it, it definitely gains in appeal.

So these clowns want you to build all these models from scratch and a whole scene from scratch in high res and pay 1500 for it? I'd say that's almost insulting. I'd expect more like 5000, just from guessing on the amount of time required to achieve this. It's not like you are just starting out, after all, your references should blow them away  :o

bobbystahr

I'd let them know that they're not paying by the size (A4) of the finished print, but the hours of work that went into the creation of all the elements, the pleasing placement (which requires ability) of said models, and the hours of test renders required to get everythinG 'just right' for them. I'd also mention residuals on any published work. Initially they are paying for the print. Publishing rights stay with the creator unless signed away. Same way with oil paintings.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks for thinking along. Yes, I think 5000 would be nicer and more in line with the hours spent, though I would also accept less, because I also like what I do. But indeed, I was a bit insulted. Most people don't realize all the work that goes into 'just an image'. And all the hours spent making attributes in the past, the hours of study and experimentation, and the money spent on software and machinery also have to be earned back in due time. And then the taxman says 'thank you' as well. Or actually, he doesn't.

And indeed, it's not really the size, though the amount of detail needed rises with size of course. And I always charge publication rights apart from production of the render (depending on the use), and hope to get some residuals afterwards (from others wanting to use the image).

Sorry I can't show the final in high resolution; it's going to sit in a 180x85cm information panel that slides down into the ground to emphasize older times beneath us, somewhere in Belgium, very nifty.