Stone Age

Started by Dune, July 04, 2014, 10:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Well that ties up the trees very well...Speedtree, sigh...another one I'l likely never have...great output from it Ulco
Also like the tweaks on the tents.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

I'm curious why the dead trees are so huge compared to all the surrounding vegetation. Much older, I'm sure (matured and then died), but what this depicts to my rational mind is an area where a fire had come through long ago, clearing trees, and leaving only remnants of the largest ones, with all the living trees being new growth. Otherwise you would expect to see living trees of similar height and branch thickness here and there. There are large-ish trees elsewhere, but they don't seem to be as robust as the dead ones, indeed by inference these dead trees would have extended much further when alive (broken limbs, lack of foliage, etc.) and would be even larger. They just look out of proportion to me... and they dominate things visually as well, due both to their size as well as lighter color.

But if the client likes it, that's what counts. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the height of the trees, and did wonder myself whether it would be plausible. I was indeed thinking along your line, old clearing by storm or fire, some ancient biggies (though only 25-30m high) still standing, bleached like in some reference photo's I found. The POV is not very much above treetop level though, and they're still smaller. I'll just await the client's verdict, but it's easy to decrease them a bit. Or add some bigger trees elsewhere.
As for the straight bends, that can be changed too, these are still not very big in poly's, so there's plenty room. I'll have a look. Maybe do some more ivy and mosses on them too. A nest is a good idea! I was thinking of making a raven as well, waiting for scraps of meat to steal when the community is dreaming about the future of the world.

Dune

Well, the client likes it, so I'll keep as is. Added a few berry pickin' ladies (hard to spot), a pregnant lady and another hunter, and some black storks (freshly made), more open water, and some different trees (large oaks, and low willow shrub in water). This should be about the semifinal, before rendering big and high quality. There will be alot of sky above, but I'll render that separately.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 05, 2014, 02:40:26 AM
Well, the client likes it, so I'll keep as is. Added a few berry pickin' ladies (hard to spot), a pregnant lady and another hunter, and some black storks (freshly made), more open water, and some different trees (large oaks, and low willow shrub in water). This should be about the semifinal, before rendering big and high quality. There will be alot of sky above, but I'll render that separately.

Well they're certainly getting value for their money. This has turned out amazing Ulco....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

Terrific piece of work.

dorianvan

What a great composition Ulco, the dead trees are a nice touch, and the hunter at the bottom. You might blur the back side of the closer up crane in flight a little. Really cool work.
-Dorian

choronr

This is beautifully done Ulco; so many points of interest. This is one lucky client.

Dune

Thanks, guys. They are all lucky clients; I totally commit and dedicate myself to make something beautiful (within my powers), unless they get nasty or mean  8) But actually I make them more for myself, in a way.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 06, 2014, 01:59:37 AM
Thanks, guys. They are all lucky clients; I totally commit and dedicate myself to make something beautiful (within my powers), unless they get nasty or mean  8) But actually I make them more for myself, in a way.

That's what happens with 'art'...the cool part I find is getting paid for what you'd almost do for free, like my music....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Absolutely! Because if a client is a bit mean (I mean, no budget, and still demanding a lot, and also being not very nice), I'd rather do my own stuff.

Hannes

Oh yes, I know what you mean. I'm glad that I have a main profession and I don't have to accept any order. So if there's someone like you described it feels good to just say "No, thank you".
Fortunately the people I usually work for are all very nice people.

Dune

Got a potential client who wants to pay 1500 euro's for a highly detailed (A2 size, 300dpi) reconstruction of a medieval village. I have to build 20+ farms and side buildings, add people, set it all up in TG and they want to use it for publications also. I call that 'a little on the low side'. So while we're here; does anyone have any ideas about price ranges for such work?

And by the way, got an issue to solve yesterday; I wanted to have these lily pads on the water plane (lake object), so I anchored the pop to the lake, but none where populated, while they did when set on ground. The thing is (I just realized) that that lake is small and localized and does not cover the 0/0/0 location. That may be the cause of the zero count (staff?).
So I added a sphere, plus a displacement shader of local water height fed by a constant color (white), disabled it and anchored the lilies to that. Solved. But still strange. 

Hannes

I agree that this is not enough, given the fact that you have to pay some amount of tax. It's always the same. Clients always think, it's so easy to sit in front of the computer, hit the "cool render" button and that's it.
When you put your car into a garage you pay a lot of money for one hour work, and that's normal. Spending weeks of work for an image like you mentioned results in the client's complaining how expensive you are! Weird!

choronr

15% Overhead; 10% profit - a good rule of thumb.