Summer Dusk

Started by choronr, July 14, 2014, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The image is a remake of the previous 'Quartz Creek' with an adjusted POV; and, deletion of a number of unnecessary clip files. I've got to get back to creating these projects as I once did from the bottom up ...think I'm getting lazy with old age.

Another item of interest is the elimination of that sharp horizon-line. Thanks to Dune for suggesting to use a SSS close to the line. In the case of this and previous image, it is located near the far right side of the image and follows the horizon. Doing so elevated the terrain at that point along the horizon breaking that sharp line. The addition of plant populations enhanced the improvement.

fleetwood

Very nice atmosphere and nearly photographic on the terrain.
The reflection on the water is really bright. As far as I know, in normal optics a reflection cannot be brighter than its source light, but here the light coming off the water gives the appearance that it might be brighter than the light in the sky. Maybe just my eye.

choronr

Thanks fleetwood. I believe the brightness is due to the high setting of enviro-light. In order to get a certain brightness on the foreground, I cranked it up to 6.

Dune

I think the GI is much too high. And if you want less shine in the water, you may also take 2 suns, and use one for the highlights only, the other (stronger) without highlights. Play with the different 'checkpoints'. And reduce highlights and/or reflection in the water shader.

mhaze

I too think the GI is too high - there's a washed out/overexposed feel to the otherwise very nice image.

choronr

Thank you Ulco and Mick. This render was not as long as I expected. I'll go back and make the adjustments suggested.  It will be better.

zaxxon

I think this image has some fine potential, glad to hear you're going to tweak with the lighting per prior comments. Once again your affinity for the subject matter really comes thru!

choronr

Quote from: zaxxon on July 15, 2014, 09:56:37 AM
I think this image has some fine potential, glad to hear you're going to tweak with the lighting per prior comments. Once again your affinity for the subject matter really comes thru!
Thank you zaxxon. I got on the 'increase the GI kick' after seeing Alessandro's recent image where he increased it to 8 with good results. Busy day with other stuff today; but, I'll be back working on this later this evening.

Oshyan

Ulco, you and your 2 suns tricks! :D Why not just reduce Highlight Intensity in the Water Shader/Reflective Shader? Much easier and more correct.

Bob, this is looking like a very nice image in the making. I agree the GI is a bit too high. I would say maybe try Strength on Surfaces at 2, instead of 5, so you get the accentuated surface lighting, but it's not quite so "glowy". You might also play with the GI Surface Details settings at higher values.

My main question is, are there bushes on the distant hills? If not, maybe use some simple objects with the same texturing or colors, if you're trying to save memory (TG can easily instance millions of bushes onto those mountains if you have enough RAM).

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 16, 2014, 03:06:08 AM
Ulco, you and your 2 suns tricks! :D Why not just reduce Highlight Intensity in the Water Shader/Reflective Shader? Much easier and more correct.

Bob, this is looking like a very nice image in the making. I agree the GI is a bit too high. I would say maybe try Strength on Surfaces at 2, instead of 5, so you get the accentuated surface lighting, but it's not quite so "glowy". You might also play with the GI Surface Details settings at higher values.

My main question is, are there bushes on the distant hills? If not, maybe use some simple objects with the same texturing or colors, if you're trying to save memory (TG can easily instance millions of bushes onto those mountains if you have enough RAM).

- Oshyan
Thank you Oshyan. I've begun making changes which already show some improvement. Will test GI Surface details at higher values.

I do not have vegetation in the distant hills but plan on adding some. I have 8MB of RAM so there should be no problem doing that.

Appreciate your visit and ideas. Will be working on these ...stay tuned.

Bob

Dune

The '2 suns trick' is quite helpful if you don't want too much shine in the clouds/atmo (which was why I mentioned it), but I also mentioned the highlight intensity in the water. Ah, that was in a mail to Bob, I guess.