Australia

Started by alessandro, July 28, 2014, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks, Alex. I'll have another go. In the meantime I was experimenting a bit with a pop of tiny rocks on a near vertical (invisible) plane. You can get some sort of droplets/particles falling, but the hard part is indeed the transparency. You may be able to get away with that in distant shots, and only use reflectivity. Another option may be to use reflectivity in combination with a default shader with a tiny fine opacity distribution, so that half the droplet is invisible, the other half reflective.

Just spent half an hour or so experimenting. This is the result. I might do this better...

Mahnmut

I have sadly never been to Australia,
but I believe this combination of smooth and cracked surface, so strange for non-australian eyes, is typical for at least some of the more burnt ancient types of rocks there. It reminds me of some boulder opals matrix, just imagine the cracks filled by multicoloured gem. Nice.

alessandro

Quote from: Dune on July 29, 2014, 10:20:40 AM
Thanks, Alex. I'll have another go. In the meantime I was experimenting a bit with a pop of tiny rocks on a near vertical (invisible) plane. You can get some sort of droplets/particles falling, but the hard part is indeed the transparency. You may be able to get away with that in distant shots, and only use reflectivity. Another option may be to use reflectivity in combination with a default shader with a tiny fine opacity distribution, so that half the droplet is invisible, the other half reflective.

Just spent half an hour or so experimenting. This is the result. I might do this better...

That looks already way better than anything I was able to achieve.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

kaedorg

Nice work on waterfall.
Ulco I would uncheck cast shadows on waterfall object. Much too dark and unrealistic.
I guess a painted shader could replace the illusion of the soft shadow of the waterfall.

David

Dune

I don't want to hijack your thread, Alex, so I keep it short and shut up then. You're right, David. But soft shadows will produce better results and/or a mix of 2 sets of the waterfall. I have a slider in the default shader for opacity, when down, less stones/drops are visible, so they produce less shadow. The second set could have shadows turned off, and produce full stones/drops.

alessandro

Quote from: Dune on July 30, 2014, 02:33:28 AM
I don't want to hijack your thread, Alex, so I keep it short and shut up then. You're right, David. But soft shadows will produce better results and/or a mix of 2 sets of the waterfall. I have a slider in the default shader for opacity, when down, less stones/drops are visible, so they produce less shadow. The second set could have shadows turned off, and produce full stones/drops.

No problem Ulco, keep going, as I believe this is interesting notion for everybody.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

Dune

OK, thanks. One more. Two sets of rocks with a bluish color, opacity regulated by small PF, added a reflective shader (no RT), pops masked by a soft simple shape which is also used to color the terrain where the fall is a bluish color+ reflection, half coverage, only at steep areas (slope restriction). The rocks sit on an invisible plane which is fed by the same displacement as the terrain, be it with a few minor additions (river/fall area on main terrain a bit down, on plane a bit up to give the rock pops a rounded top).
Oh yes, and I wanted a hole behind the fall, so I used the painted shader to vdisp that area, and use it as mask to not give that area of the fall the water color.

ra

Wicked work here!  ;) Great one.
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

TheBadger

Though technically speaking I think its impressive that people have managed to make waterfalles in TG, some even having a hint of realism and naturalism. To be blunt, I think that the only time they look even sorta good is from very very far away.
Really I think its clear that TG just can't do waterfalls with any dignity yet... Sadly.

Using other programs is really the only realistic path forward on this IMHO. Realflow is $99 guys. Just not for commercial use.
It has been eaten.

choronr

An exceptional image Alex; and, a very informative thread.

Dune

I thought you were the one 'complaining' about having to use all these programs for one effect, Michael  ;) I know you're right in a way, but with more experimentation, we might get better results AND get the ideas to the staff, and plugin makers. So one day, there might be a shader that will hold these ideas and you only need to click a few times and have your waterfall (in one terrific program).
Even what I just made can be made much better, I'm sure, mine was just a quick setup. Perhaps by using fake stones (which can be displaced better than pops of stones), and having them separate from the plane they are displaced from by a default shader's opacity. So I must urge you all to keep experimenting.

Cocateho

DUUUUUUUUDE... that looks awesome, nice work!